PDA

View Full Version : Internet explorer not working

Daniel123321
27-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Hello, recently when trying to browse the internet i noticed that my inernet explorer was not working. When ever i double click it as i normally did it now comes up with an error report. I don't know what has made this happen, i can't find the disk that is needed, could anyone guide me please?

Jen
27-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Hi Daniel and Welcome to PressF1 :)

Can we have some more details please. What in IE are double-clicking which gives an error? What exactly does the error say? What version of Windows do you have and what version of IE?

Thanks

Daniel123321
27-02-2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks for answering so fast, I have an IE shortcut icon on my desktop i am clicking that. I have windows XP and its IE 6 (i think). Its also just a normal error report, as you would get if you are opening to many web pages or so on, I have recived them before but not since i got broadband also i have never got one just from clicking on IE, i have had this problem about a week now.

Jen
27-02-2005, 12:48 PM
What sort of error is a "normal" one from opening too many IE webpages? Does it just say, "Sorry Internet Explorer has encounted a problem and will now close" (or along those lines), or does it give a error which you can click OK on and it continues to load? If you could give us the specific wording in the error report that will assist us pinpointing a cause to your problem. :)

the highlander
27-02-2005, 12:48 PM
You would do yourself a mighty favour if you installed firefox instead of Internet Explorer. Its safer, has better features and its a no brainer to install.
Highly recommended :)

Daniel123321
27-02-2005, 01:00 PM
"Internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Also i don't know how to copy and paste the error report....

Daniel123321
27-02-2005, 01:03 PM
I've never heard of firefox before and i'm not very computer literate although i have had one for about 7 years, lol. I have never really been into the tech scene. My mam uses my computer alot and sometimes messes things up and IE and i know how to fix it as im familiar with it, but i wouldn;t with firefox.

Myth
27-02-2005, 01:10 PM
Without knowing the exact error message (so this might be wrong, but have a look) have a look at these 2 Microsoft support sites, they may help;

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810887

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293623

Daniel123321
27-02-2005, 01:16 PM
AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106 ModName: sfg_3feb.dll
ModVer: 2.0.0.0 Offset: 00016fa0

Jen
27-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Do you have SafeGuard Popup Blocker installed? That .dll in the error message can be associated with that program's updater.

Go to Start > Run. Enter in msconfig click OK. Under the startup tab look for this program "SafeGuard Popup Updater" (regsvr32 [path] sfg****.dll ). Note: * means random characters.

Remove the tick from this item on the list, click Apply, OK and then reboot your machine. See if this helps. If it doesn't, uninstall SafeGuard Popup Blocker via Add/Remove, reboot the machine again and see what this does.

Jen
27-02-2005, 02:03 PM
Back again! This is all assuming you do have the SafeGuard product installed .... :)

Been doing some investigation on SafeGuard products and they are pretty dodgy when it come to privacy issues. They are considered spyware/hijackers by various reference sites eg: Computer Associates - SafeguardProtect (http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453082734). If you read their EULA you will see they track all your websites you visit and record your IP which this information can then be given to third party companies. In that link above, if you scroll down to the Privacy Policy section, they have put bullet point marks next to the questionable items in the EULA.

I would recommend completely uninstalling this product.

If you don't have Spybot Search & Destroy, and/or Adware SE, and/or Microsofts new Beta Antispyware program then you should download one (or two) of them and check out your system.

Microsoft Beta Antispyware (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en)

Spybot Search & Destroy (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html)

Ad-aware SE (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/#free)

Daniel123321
27-02-2005, 02:44 PM
No i don't have that although i have sfg_3feb in twice... and their 'command' is "regsvr32/s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\sfg_3feb.dll"

Daniel123321
27-02-2005, 02:53 PM
I don't have that program installed, thanks so much for all youe help. Anyways i disabled sfg_3feb ( both of them ) and retsarted my computer, nothing happened, although the error report did change from what it was to "AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00020005"

Jen
27-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Having those two entries in your startup list is a bit suspicious. Did you try one of the Antispyware programs?

Done a bit of googling on this ModName: Unknown error and there doesn't seem to be a obvious solution. Others have tried scanreg /now and repaired IE without success. One person stated that this error didn't occur when using a different account on XP (suspected corrupted profile). Can you create a new account or use a different existing one and see if this error still occurs?

What browser are you using now, if Internet Explorer crashes upon opening all the time?

NandoNYC
01-03-2005, 08:49 AM
Hello all, my first reply.

I registered just because of this problem. I need help too.

I'm having the same problem with my pc. I'm running Windows XP, IE 6.
IE does not show up under my add or remove programs. it is under windows components but it has 0.0kb next to it. seems like its not there. I tried reinstalling it and it says that i have a newer version of IE on my pc.

I try double clicking on the IE icon cause it's still on my desktop and i get that "IE has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I click on the data report it recorded and it says AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2600.0 ModName: sfg_6d4d.dll ModVer: 2.0.0.0 Offset: 00016fa0

I have opened up My Computer then typed any "http://" site like google and so on, but if i try to make a download and explorer needs to open up another external window the error returns.

So for now i can browse by using windows explorer and type an internet address which then turns into IE but I cannot execute IE directly.

Just need some help......please. I want my pc back

I HATE all this spyware crap. Whatever happened to the internet we USED to have!

Thanks

NandoNYC
01-03-2005, 06:35 PM
well good news. I think i have finally fixed the error.

i used a program call IEEradicator which uninstalled IE and all traces of it, ran it twice rebooted twice and then installed the newest version of IE.

after installing i double clicked and wouldnt ya know it, it works. went into the internet options set everything back to default. the only thing that is not working properly is the advanced tab. when i click on that it shows nothing.

hey i'm just happy it works.....lol

u can find IEEradicator at this link

http://www.litepc.com/getieradicator.html

hopefully this works for you Daniel

netchicken
01-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Man, consider yourself Lucky!

Take the opportunity to get Opera, or firefox, and never return to the leperous beastie..

Daniel123321
02-03-2005, 05:04 AM
Ok if i uninstall internet explorer using that program, i can't find the disk that is stated i need to re-install internet explorer, i am currently using firefox and that is working perfectly, also jen i can't make a new account as my computer is slow as it is and it makes it even slower with a new one.

NandoNYC
02-03-2005, 07:31 AM
Yes i have been using firefox as my new browser also.

but what you need to do is download the IE 6 installation file from microsoft.com

I saved it to my harddrive on another pc and then moved it over and installed works like a gem now.

actually had to do this whole process over because i did not allow certain changes to the installation and messed it up the first time but now everything is a ok!

If you need the IE 6 install emailed to you just let me know.

tweak'e
02-03-2005, 09:38 AM
well the IE6 install file is around 50+ meg..........might be easier to get it off a magizine disk.

before you go reinstalling IE make sure you clean out any BHO's and activeX's.

also more importantly clean out the INDEX.DAT. a bloated index.dat will cause IE to crash and it will still be there after a IE reinstall so clean it out first.

FoxyMX
02-03-2005, 04:10 PM
also more importantly clean out the INDEX.DAT. a bloated index.dat will cause IE to crash and it will still be there after a IE reinstall so clean it out first.
See the index.dat FAQ (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/faq.php?faq=pressf1_faq_windows#faq_pressf1_faq_32 ) for information on index.dat files and how to get rid of them. Probably the easiest way would be to use CCleaner as listed in "2. Other cleaning programs" on that page.