PDA

View Full Version : xp home can't see xp pro shares

heni72847
25-02-2005, 05:21 PM
had computer with xp pro on a network sharing files happly.. then a home edition comes in...
right now i've configured till the point where the pro machines can see the home shares
but home can't see the pro shares

i've set them on the same workgroup
all the computers..both pro and home, i use the same username and password, all hav admin status
both pro and home guest acounts are enabled, having a common password

tried settings with firewall disabled, 3rd party and ms
ping works and if i use vnc i can view any computer i want..
so now i can only transfer file using the file transfer in ultr@vnc..

i've been searching around google..trying out all the methods..execpt using the window network wizard..coz i'm afraid it will cripple my existing network..
also making the home edition into a pro isn't an option sadly..

i dunno what to try next..any one hav any clues??

gibler
25-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Check out this thread (http://forums.practicallynetworked.com/showthread.php?threadid=4101)

Try turning off simple fire sharing on the xp pro box
Check out the security policies on the xp pro box
Try some new user accounts on the home machine

heni72847
26-02-2005, 08:08 AM
simple file sharing is off
security set loose
still doesn't work...

i've went through dat thread before comming here..still no luck

Speedy Gonzales
26-02-2005, 08:15 AM
Turn simple file sharing on both, then u wont need passwords. I take it u created a folder on XP Pro?? Yer don't use the wizard. Its hopeless. Is file sharing enabled on XP Pro?

How many computers are there altogether?? 2? 3? more?

heni72847
26-02-2005, 05:37 PM
this network got 4 comps
3 was fine when networking they got xp pro
now i'm just adding in a new comp with xp home..the 'home' part is causing trouble...

andrew93
27-02-2005, 10:57 AM
I thought XP Home had a limit of 5 network devices (I remember reading some sales blurb about XP Home versus XP Pro networking about 2 years ago) but I can't find any reference to this on the 'net. If you have any printers or routers etc connected to the network then you may be over the XP Home network device limit.
Andrew

heni72847
27-02-2005, 06:02 PM
um..don't think there's over 5 devices..since only 4 ports on my router...

heni72847
27-02-2005, 10:28 PM
ooh..problem solved...
funny enough...connecting to my computer name won't work
i have to type in the ip address manually...then it works
since the guest accounts hav same password, i don't even need to type in any password

if anyone know how to make my computers show up under their workgroup.. that will be great..they are all i the same workgroup already though...dunno why they don't show up in xp home..but show up in xp pro...

kcmark
18-03-2005, 08:01 AM
I'm having the exact same problem and have tried all the solutions you mentioned as well as the solutions in the posted link from www.practicallynetworked.com, still no luck. How do you go about typing in the IP address manually to access the files on the XP pro machine?

Speedy Gonzales
18-03-2005, 08:08 AM
You could try My Network places / Tools / Map network Drive??

Just type in the ip there where it says folder. See what happens.

kcmark
18-03-2005, 08:20 AM
Thanks....just tried that and it didn't work. Although I can ping the XP pro PC from the XP home PC the XP home PC doesn't show the pro PC in the workgroups nor will it let me connect directly as heni72847 did. At least not in the way you suggested. Other thoughts/suggestions?

Speedy Gonzales
18-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Hmm it SHOULD work if:

Pro is the main PC.

Separate ips are on each PC.

Workgroup name is the same

Use Simple file sharing is ticked, under Tools/Folder options/View
(This will save u entering a guest on each PC, to get the file sharing to work).

Any firewall, besides XP's have to be configured, so u can share a folder
between each PC. And the net. (If u have more than 1 firewall, besides XP's firewall, turn XP's off). They MAY clash/conflict with each other.

File sharing, /TCP/IP, and Client For MS Networks, are ticked under the LAN properties.

If u have more than 2 PC's in a network, you're using a ethernet HUB. If u use Ethernet networking.

Have you got any other firewalls installed besides XP's KC??

If so, turn XP's OFF, and the other firewall needs to be configured properly.

Remember XP Home can only have 5 PC's going thru it. Pro can have 10

Also, if u use Zonealarm, the FREE version doesnt give u ICS.

So unless u pay / register ZA, it's not worth using it, if you want the networked PC/s to get onto the net through it. It wont work.

E|im
18-03-2005, 11:34 AM
By default XP Pro has a group policy that denys guest access from the network. You can only fix it by editing the policy in the Group Policy Editor. Would be a disaster for XP Home if it had the same restriction because XP Home doesn't have a Group Policy Editor to fix it. There would be no file sharing. But luckily XP Home allows guest access by default.

On the XP Pro computer:
Start > Run > gpedit.msc

Follow tree:
Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > User Rights Assignment

Find the entry "Deny access to this computer from the network"
Go into its properties and remove the Guest entry.

Thats the main problem, rest should be easy. :)

kcmark
19-03-2005, 06:23 AM
Thanks for the additional tips. Turns out I didn't need to go into the group policy settings on the XP pro PC. Apparently, the requirement that both PC's have identical user accounts/passwords was the issue. I had identical user accounts/passwords however, one of the user accounts on the XP pro PC had a capatalized first letter, while the account on the XP home PC did not. Only caught it when I was setting up new passwords just to confirm they were the same. Though embarrassing, I thought I'd post it to maybe help someone else troubleshoot if they have a similar problem.

BTW, I read in a similar thread on another site that simple file sharing on the XP pro machine should be turned OFF. I turned it off on my XP pro machine based on this recommendation and I am able to share files b/t the two PC's now so I hesitate to switch it back on. However, is there some advantage to turning on simple file sharing again on the XP pro machine? I kind of have the mindset - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Thoughts?

Speedy Gonzales
19-03-2005, 08:30 AM
BTW, I read in a similar thread on another site that simple file sharing on the XP pro machine should be turned OFF. I turned it off on my XP pro machine based on this recommendation and I am able to share files b/t the two PC's now so I hesitate to switch it back on. However, is there some advantage to turning on simple file sharing again on the XP pro machine? I kind of have the mindset - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Thoughts?

The advantage of having Simple file sharing ON, is u don't have to muck around with the Group Policy thing, or add the other PC's as guests, and you DON'T have to add usernames and passwords, so u can share a folder between whatever PC's. Well I didnt have to do this anyway.

kcmark
19-03-2005, 12:37 PM
I think that's true if you have two Xp pro computers, but I was dealing with an XP Pro PC w/ ethernet to router and an XP home PC w/ wireless lan to router. I don't think there is any way to avoid setting up idential user accounts with this kind of setup, regardless of whether simple file sharing is ON on the XP Pro machine. (of course, there is no ON or OFF of simple file sharing in XP home)

Speedy Gonzales
19-03-2005, 12:54 PM
Well yer, I know nothing about routers etc coz I dont use one myself.

I wouldnt have a clue, on how to configure one, until i get broadband, or get a wireless network.

No I think XP Home has simple file sharing. Why wouldnt it?? If its there, it'll be in My Computer / Tools / Folder Options /view.

Having a router, wont help unless u add ports to it maybe?? Then things might work