PDA

View Full Version : Update on Portege/Powerpoint dual-independent display problem.

Billy T
24-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Or this :( :(

Billy T
24-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Hi Team

Just a quick update on my previous thread. (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=54585)

Having satisfied myself that XP would do the deed provided the Savage IX video adapter Duoview+ function was what it said it was, I contacted a Toshiba agent in Auckland to see what they thought. I got a snappy reply from a tech saying they didn't know either but he had access to a Portege 3490CT and would try it out at home. He duly reported back that yes, I could get dual independent displays using my laptop and XP-Pro.

I got the company to quote the full clean install deal for XP-Pro anyway, but I was so impressed with the assistance he offered in his own time that any thought of doing it myself flew out the window. Their price is not peanuts, but compared to the time I would/could spend doing it myself it is a fair bargain.

So, all going well I should get to have the Powerpoint display format that I want. The only snag I can see is that the laptop LCD will always be the primary display, but so long as I can choose what I display on each screen I'm home and hosed.

Thanks to everybody who offered their technical expertise on this problem. I can't believe that such a straightforward solution could have been so obscure, and that Toshiba's manuals would be silent on the whole issue!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs:

Growly
24-02-2005, 07:25 PM
What the... ?

Jen
24-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Wow Billy, four threads posted in one go! I am impressed :D Not sure what glitch produced this?

I have merged all four thread into this single thread now. :)

Update: I have deleted all but one of the duplicate posts at the request of the poster, but couldn't delete the header post without losing the entire thread ...

ninja
24-02-2005, 08:48 PM
/me fails to see why this couldn't have gone in the existing thread if the trouble was taken to link to it.

Billy T
24-02-2005, 10:14 PM
Simple really: Firstly I wanted to report the resolution; secondly the good Toshiba service; thirdly to say thank you to all those who helped me; fourthly, save everybody the trouble of trolling to the end of the original thread to get to the happy ending; and fifthly, to link the previous information for the benefit of anybody who might have missed the original thread and been interested in the history.

I thought before I posted. You see, the information might be applicable to other laptop users in the future.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs: