PDA

View Full Version : Full Format?

Edward
24-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Hi. I'm looking to get 98 installed on the old computer, however it won't install.

I've tried 95, 98 & 98se, and none of them quit. 95 complains that it can't find a.vxd file, 98 has a Windows Protection Error, & 98se's Explorer.exe crashes straight away. I can get Windows ME installed, but I don't want to. I'm thinking it's because 98lite installed a new shell in ME, and it's getting carried over to the new installs causing havoc. I've tried both Low Level HD format (Does no bloody good whatsoever), and FreeDOS's Format, however as they're both "quick" formats, none of them work. I'm about to try CalderaDOS to see if that works, but does anyone know how to do a full (Not quick) Hard Drive erase? I've tried Knoppix (Dosen't work- giving up), so can boot from CD & put anything on CD.

any ideas appreciated.

thanks, Edward :)

Peter H
24-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Use a floppy boot disc - at the prompt - format C
Very easy.
Bye

Edward
24-02-2005, 05:12 PM
I've tried that with FreeDOS, however it's only a quick format :annoyed:

Speedy Gonzales
24-02-2005, 05:22 PM
Well is ME still installed?? Can u still get into ME and does 98lite put an entry in add/remove programs??

Dont think 98lite would affect anything, if you're not even in windows, when you try and install 95/98. Are u booting from the 98 se cd?? and changing the bootdisk to cd in the BIOS??

Not trying to install 95/98/98 se whatever over ME while ME is installed?

Terry Porritt
24-02-2005, 06:37 PM
I've tried that with FreeDOS, however it's only a quick format :annoyed:

You didn't do what Peter suggested. He meant use a win98 boot disk which can be downloaded, like from bootdisk.com

PF1 has had several posts about this very topic lately.

All you need to know is contained in these information sites, so there is no need to re-invent the wheel again here :)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188881

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/

Edward
24-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Speedy: I'm formatting then installing, not installing a lower version over a newer one

Terry: I've got the boot floppy on a CD, so will that do?

Terry Porritt
24-02-2005, 07:44 PM
If the CD is bootable, then that should be ok, having set the BIOS to boot from CD, before hard drive. Make sure there is cdrom support , and that fdisk.exe and format.com are there on the dos boot disk files

I'd be very inclined to run FDISK first of all to check that you have an active primary DOS partition and that it supports large hard drives, perhaps delete whats there and make new partition(s) as required. Then do a FORMAT for each partition (if more than one).

There is also a large drive update for win 98 FDISK which can be downloaded from Microsoft.
The date stamp on the later FDISK is 05-18-00 and the file size is 64,460 bytes.

A Windows 98 CD is bootable, so you should be able to install from that directly, whereas a Win95 CD isnt, and you have to boot from a DOS boot disk with CDROM support before you can run 'setup' from the Win95 directory.

I'd still be inclined with a Win98 CD to partition and format with a boot disk, then make a win98 directory on the hard drive, copy all the files from the win98 directory on the CD to the Win98 directory on the hard drive, and run 'setup' from the hard drive.

That WindowsInstall site is fairly detailed on what to do.

Edward
25-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Well I managed to do a full format from FreeDOS using format C: /U

I should have made this clearer, my bad for not doing so. It's a non-bootable MSDN CD, with both 98 & 98SE on it. To make it bootable, I downloaded a bootdisk from bootdisk.com and used Nero to integrate the CD & floppy together. Therefore, it's not a standard CD.