PDA

View Full Version : How to manually cut the internet connection?

susievb
19-02-2005, 03:58 PM
Hi, I've recently got a new computer and amongest the many changes from ME to XP is the loss of the two telephones icons in the task bar that tell you when you are conected to the internet.

I have found that sometimes when using a programme that is not Outlook Express or Internet Explorer, and the update is finished or I need to terminate the connection the 'do you want to disconnect' box does not come up so I have to turn on the Outlook Express or Internet Explorer and then turn it off to get the 'do you want to disconnect' box to appear. Sometimes all I can think of doing is closing down and starting up the computer to propery know the internet connection is cut.

Is there a way of getting the two telephones icons installed so I can manually tell the computer when to disconnect the internet connection?

johnboy
19-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Click the start button then connections right click your connection icon and on the general tab put a tick in show connection ocon when connected.
hth

Speedy Gonzales
19-02-2005, 04:06 PM
If My network places is on the desktop (if not go to control panel/ network connections). Highlight the icon for whatever / right mouse / properties, and tick the two options on the bottom under the general tab. Then OK.

If u want easier access to the dialup icon, go to the above and right mouse on the dialup icon (if you're on dialup), and create shortcut. The other monitor on the taskbar maybe for the network card / LAN.

johnboy
19-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Sorry that should have been
Click the start button then connect to right click your connection icon then properties and on the general tab put a tick in show icon in notification area when connected.
hth