PDA

View Full Version : No life

dzina
18-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Hi All,

I have a small issue that i need to confirm here.

I have a machine from a friend that wont boot. The KB gives a flash on the numlock and cap lock buttons when you switch the power on (using the PSU switch at back, not main "on" button) so i know power cable is ok (plus i have had other systems running on it). When you hit the main "on" switch the cpu and cooling fan give about 1 rev and then nothing. I have swapped PSU for a new one and still the same.

My thought is something has fried on the mobo, maybe from a power spike or from dust charging and falling onto something (it was soooo dusty!).

Anyone got another idea or can shed any light on it??

Cheers

JJJJJ
18-02-2005, 12:54 PM
I had the same symptoms a while ago.
I diconnected everything from the motherboard and then reinstalled them one by one,trying to boot after each one.
I discovered my hard drive had died. With drive disconected I could do post. Installed a new hard disk and all OK.
Worth checking.
Jack

dzina
18-02-2005, 01:10 PM
Cheers Jack,

I removed everything (RAM, HDD, FDD, IDE2 modem, etc) and still the same. Just one small spin on the CPU and cooling fans then dead. The power indicator light on the Mobo lights when power is on but apart from that nothing :(

JJJJJ
18-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Well I would say your CPU has gone bad. Possibly tour motherboard.
Have you had the CPU out? Is it seated and locked in?
Jack

dzina
18-02-2005, 01:24 PM
The Cpu hasnt been touched (and the dust layer confirms!!). I am thinking Mobo is fried - possibly CPU & HDD too depending on what did the frying!

Bugger

Graham L
18-02-2005, 02:49 PM
I've never had occasion to find out if the keyboard light flashing at startup is part of the initialising of the 8048 keyboard controller or whether it's under the command of the main CPU POST. But it shows that part of the motherboard is working. ;)

Try removing the CPU and replacing it. That should clean the hundreds of connections involved there.