PDA

View Full Version : Your Feedback on this PC Specs Please

astounder
14-02-2005, 09:45 PM
Greetings fellow earthlings…

I’m looking at buying a new desktop PC and I’d like to have a second opinion on the following system specs… :rolleyes:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (Socket 939)
Gigabyte GA-K8NS939
Legend 512MB DDRAM PC3200
Gecube 128M Radeon 9600 PRO
Maxtor 120GB ATA133 DiamondMax® Plus 9
Samsung Dual Layer 16X DVD Writer
Panasonic 1.44MB 3.5"
AOC 17" TFT LCD LM-721
56K Modem

Comes to approximately $1,500 (might be cheaper than buying a Dell though)

Would appreciate your feedback… thanks!

David (astounder)

Prescott
14-02-2005, 09:50 PM
what are you wanting to do with this computer? play games? if you are, get a better video card

what disks are included, is a OEM disk of windows xp included?

astounder
14-02-2005, 09:53 PM
Thanks Prescott

A little gaming now and then but not really a hardcore gamer :D

Any particular models in mind? Would appreciate your suggestions though

Oh and yes Windows XP Home OEM is included as well

Cheers

David

Prescott
14-02-2005, 09:55 PM
in that case then, maybe a 9800XT or so, im not too sure, a 9600 Pro might suit your needs. what games are you thinking of playing

Lohsing
14-02-2005, 10:01 PM
You're prob wasting money on the dual layer burner... single layer is fine, with media being so cheap and all.

Ram is probably a bit light... I'd aim for a gig.

Lo.

astounder
14-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks Prescott for the feedback.

Probably some old games (C&C Generals etc) and Half Life 2 that my laptop can't even play (a Compaq P4 2.8) but the desktop would be used mainly for video editing. Cheers

David

astounder
14-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Thanks Lohsing for the input.

Yeah I would probably agree with the dual layer burner theory as I reckon I wouldn’t use the drive as often.

As for the RAM – yeah I would go for a gig considering the fact that the machine would be used for video editing and stuffs like that, probably couple that with an extra hard drive for storage etc

Cheers

David

Tux
14-02-2005, 10:11 PM
the 939 offers no great advantage other than supporting dual channel ram, i would go for the socket 754. your pc that you want is essentially the same as mine, cept i only paid $1350. pm me if you want a full run down

astounder
14-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Cheers for the comment Tux.

Sent you a PM.

David

george12
14-02-2005, 10:23 PM
Um guys, dual layer DVD burners are the norm now, I haven't sold a single layer in ages, in fact I don't even stock them anymore. They're dirt cheap, equal or less in price than the obsolete single layer.

Having said that, nobody uses dual layer anyway... but the point remains, find me a single layer 16X drive for significantly less than $130 and I'll change opinion.

astounder
14-02-2005, 10:29 PM
Cheers for the note George.

Agreed - seems like popular online stores like Super Cheap Computers are phasing out the single layer drives. :@@:

Thanks for the feedback. :cool:

David

Lohsing
14-02-2005, 10:44 PM
Um guys, dual layer DVD burners are the norm now, I haven't sold a single layer in ages, in fact I don't even stock them anymore. They're dirt cheap, equal or less in price than the obsolete single layer.

Having said that, nobody uses dual layer anyway... but the point remains, find me a single layer 16X drive for significantly less than $130 and I'll change opinion.
Yeah yeah... all very well, but find me cheap 16X single layer media while you're at it... The most reasonable media at the moment still has to be the 4X stuff.

Lo.

astounder
14-02-2005, 10:52 PM
Thanks for your opinion Lohsing.

However I’d still second George’s comment - I’m sure most stores are now phasing out the single layer variety, and 4x media are abundant but keep in mind dual layer drives may future-proof your investment as faster media are being introduced to the market. ;)

Just my two cents worth.

Peace.

David

dipstick01
14-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Sounds good so far, I agree with the 1gb ram though. Makes just that extra bit of difference to the way your system runs. I have just added a Gecube Radeon 900 pro to my machine and play online etc here and it runs them fine. You can spend a portune on Graphics cards but I suggest grab one that will do to your needs, if you need more Graphics power in the future buy a bigger card and by then there will be a whole new more powerful range out there.
What about case and cooling??

The LCD is nice...its what I got for christmas and love it.....funny thing is I got it as a present but when it comes time to make payments it always seems to come out of my wages...oh well maybe the wife to be is a lot smarter than she lets on lol.

Big John
14-02-2005, 11:09 PM
Thanks Lohsing for the input.

Yeah I would probably agree with the dual layer burner theory as I reckon I wouldn’t use the drive as often.

As for the RAM – yeah I would go for a gig considering the fact that the machine would be used for video editing and stuffs like that, probably couple that with an extra hard drive for storage etc

Go for Dual Channel then as this makes a huge difference to memory speed. Thats if the MB can handle it.

astounder
14-02-2005, 11:11 PM
Cheers for the outlook dipstick01.

As for the case I have decided to get one of those black / silver ones for $85 from QMB computers with a 300W PSU.

http://img135.exs.cx/img135/1701/case4cv.th.gif (http://img135.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img135&image=case4cv.gif)

I assume cooling would be the one of those standard AMD heatsink and fan that comes with the retail box.

Thanks for the feedback – really appreciate it. Cheers. :thumbs:

David

astounder
14-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Thanks Big John for the response.

I am not really a computer whiz but would the memory (Legend High Quality 512MB DDRAM PC3200 DDR400) and motherboard (Asus K8N) fit into the Dual Channel description?

Thanks for the mention – appreciate that. Cheers.

David

the highlander
14-02-2005, 11:24 PM
Indifferent case/ poor power supply. Though they have improved I still wouldn't trust my hard earned cash with a 300 watt hynena powersupply. They have in my experience had a habit of going boom and taking everything with them.
If you are trying to save money go for a chumya generic case dump the power supplyand put a 400 watt powersupply from from a recognised company into it.

astounder
14-02-2005, 11:40 PM
Cheers The Highlander for the advice. :cool:

Found a couple of Foxconn Hyena cases on Pricespy for $69. Prevention is better than cure it seems as I think I may have recalled an article on PC World regarding dodgy PSU’s :lol:

Thanks for the feedback. Cheers and good night everyone ::yawns::.

David

Murray P
14-02-2005, 11:52 PM
I'd stick with the socket 939, will give longer upgrade life.

A gig of ram would be nice.

Run with the dual layer burner, the media will come down in price, eventually, overall better firmware and more likely to be updated than single layer.

Be nice to have a better video card, but you could always pop a better one in later if you find you're needing more grunt that you presently use.

I agree with the Highlander, anything with a Hyena PSU is asking for trouble.

E|im
15-02-2005, 02:22 AM
If you can't afford a GB now, just get a reasonable 512MB stick. Then when you can afford it, see if you can buy an identical one and run it in dual channel then. Don't get fooled into buying a 2x256MB dual channel pair, they are more expensive and if you want to upgrade to 1GB later you have to probably sell the first pair because boards rarely work properly with 4 DIMMs and have incompatibility issues. Some boards can do 2x256MB + 1x512MB and still get dual channel, nForce 2 I think can. Not sure about others though.

Brand wise, most Value Select RAM is pretty good and offers about 90% of the performance of the most expensive low latency sticks, or if you can afford it and want to overclock, RAM with TCCD chips or OCZ VX is the good stuff at the moment. Expect to pay like $500~ for a GB though.

Anyway I say 1x512MB now and another later. Or just two 512MB sticks now. Dual channel kits are more expensive because they've been tested to work in dual channel. Waste of time really because you can be clever and just get two sticks from the same batch (ask retailer) and they should run in dual channel fine. Saves you about $50.

astounder
15-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Cheers Murray P for the remark.

Appreciate your helpful post - cheers.

David

Prescott
15-02-2005, 05:05 PM
yeah get a quality psu,a well known brand and maybe a 400W or so, that 300W psu might be pushing it.....

astounder
15-02-2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks E|im for the mention.

I am currently looking at getting a pair of Legend 512MB PC3200 DDR400 DDRAM as well as a Gigabyte GA-K8NS939 mainboard to go with it and hopefully it would run in Dual Channel mode then. ;)

Any feedback would be appreciated. Cheers.

David

astounder
15-02-2005, 05:22 PM
Thanks again Prescott for your opinion. :cool:

As for the case I have decided to get one of those black ones (TOP Midi Tower case with 350W power supply Black) for $52, and a Thermaltake power supply unit (Thermaltake TT420AD 420W Dual Fan Pentium 4 / AMD Power Supply W0009R ATX) for $89 to go with it.

What do you guys think of this case and PSU combo? Would appreciate your comments please. Cheers.

David

Alan Cotrell
15-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Helllo Astounder,

Re case,

DSE currently have the best value high quality case in NZ at the moment (in my opinion) $98.00 inc GST. includes good quality 400watt PSU

Most retail stores charge more than $98.00 for this case without the PSU and side window.

Look here http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4211d5a9010432fe273fc0a87f9906b2/Product/View/XH5135

Murray P
16-02-2005, 09:01 AM
You'll need this Link (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4212645500d0e50a273fc0a87f9906de/Product/View/XH5135) if you want have a look at the case once the adverts page has refreshed.

Looks like a good deal, who's PSU it it?

Alan Cotrell
16-02-2005, 10:34 AM
You'll need this Link (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4212645500d0e50a273fc0a87f9906de/Product/View/XH5135) if you want have a look at the case once the adverts page has refreshed.

Looks like a good deal, who's PSU it it?

Hi Murray,

Thank's for fixing up my link (always forget about the need to edit when posting DSE links)

The PSU is a normal 3R brand case PSU, in fact the case is a normal 3R R101 case in a DSE carton(3R have a very good reputation for their high end cases)

I'm actually building a PC today using one of these cases, as mentioned previousy I'm very impressed.

I would go far as to say anybody thinking of building a PC in the near future should shoot down to DSE and grab one before stocks run out (they were previously selling them for $195.00 inc GST, the same as most other retailers)

Regards

AC

Bazza
18-02-2005, 08:09 PM
Thanks Alan for the info about that DSE case. I managed to get one today, from DSE NP, after they scratched arround to find one.

After using several cases that had inadequate cooling, or were too noisy with 80mm fans. I have high hopes this one will be fine. It sure looks good, with 2 big 120mm fans and the temp displays etc.

Do have you have the pc running with this case Alan?..Whats your opinion now? Does it provide adequate cooling, without too much noise?

I'd be glad to have your comments.

astounder
18-02-2005, 08:25 PM
Thanks Prescott, Lohsing, Tux, george12, dipstick01, Big John, the highlander, Murray P, E|im and Alan Cotrell for the comments. :cool:

Thanks Alan Cotrell for the case suggestion – appreciate it. Got the DSE 400W case, and I was pleasantly surprised that it also comes with an extra side panel as well as three temperature sensors, not to mention the front USB and IR panels at such a low price. Runs quieter than my laptop though. :thumbs:

Managed to set up the system this evening albeit a little hunt-around for the Athlon64 processor as not many retailers actually stock the item.

Have a great weekend everyone!

David

astounder
18-02-2005, 08:30 PM
Bazza,

I have had the DSE case up and running and the fans seem to maintain the overall system temperature at a pretty reasonable level (28 C) on medium speed.

As for the noise I wouldn’t worry too much about it as it seems so much quieter than my previous P4 case! The previous one I had literally sound like a full-blown vacuum cleaner on full speed :p You might want to lower or turn off (not recommended) the 120mm casing fans if it gets too annoying.

Hope this helps – cheers.

David

Bazza
18-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Yes, thanks David.. That helps to know about the case. It sure looks a beauty. Look forward to getting it going.