PDA

View Full Version : Damn HP...... won't go

dipstick01
14-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Hi All,
After trying to wade through miles of trash from the HP site etc I am about to give up on this thing.

Sister in Law has Hewlett Packard Pavilion 8802 which is for the kids hence it has downloaded all sorts and run god knows what till finally it has died. The strange thing is it was running along with the screensaver kicked in and when they tried to use it again it locked up so they powered it off and now it will not post at all.
The power runs through fine and I can hear all the usual operating noises but there is no posting beeps or display whatsoever on screen and there is also no keyboard lights kicking in either. I have tried following directions re resetting the bios from the HP site and also removed the cmos battery in a vain attempt at resetting it. I have absolutly no idea which jumper to switch to reset the mobo as the only ID I can find on it is a HP serial number which returns no results when searched so no mobo diagram and nothing labelled that I can see. I am about buggered here guys.

Any ideas?? :badpc:

bartsdadhomer
14-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Should be no need to play with BIOS settings as it doesn't sound like anyone changed anything in there.
I'd be looking elsewhere first.
Ram, video card, PSU, CPU etc
Going to be a process of elimination probably
Have you tried booting from the recovery CD

dipstick01
14-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Should be no need to play with BIOS settings as it doesn't sound like anyone changed anything in there.
I'd be looking elsewhere first.
Ram, video card, PSU, CPU etc
Going to be a process of elimination probably
Have you tried booting from the recovery CD

Yeah no video card only onboard. only card is a modem which I have tried takig out. Ram I have reseated but I have no other ram to try. PSU is powering things up. I jus thought it strange to die from screensaver and was wondering if the power off was not done at the switch at the front as I was promised possibly corrupting bios. Recovery CD's won't boot as it does not even post. I have tried booting from a normal xp CD also but nothing.

gibler
14-02-2005, 11:23 PM
Take a good look at the capacitors on the motherboard? Signs of them trying to burst?

Some HP motherboards I've seen look like altered Asus ones...

As for resetting the cmos, you might have to find a couple points to short, a jumper or carefully remove the battery if desparate.

dipstick01
14-02-2005, 11:53 PM
ok as an update I have been playing a bit more (I hate a pc getting the better of me) and finally found some pc133 ram so installed that and removed CD rom and modem from loop and still no go. Re connected all and repowered a few times and suddenly lo and behold I got the post screen.....got to the entering setup page and some @#!!$%^ has put a password on the bios. After 3 attempts it locked me out and now I cannot get it to post back into setup, it has gone back to its dead days again. I am suspecting a faulty mobo now. I have tried to locate the jumper to reset the system however there are about 7 jumpers that I can spot so far so I have already tried the battery removal to no avail. :@@:

also all capacitors look fine to me.

Jen
15-02-2005, 07:06 AM
Hi dipstick

Is the machine set to boot from a CD? If it is, try using the Ultimate Boot CD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/). It has heaps of diagnostic tools, as well as Aida16 amongst its System Information tools. You may be able to identify the motherboard. That CD also has a CMOS password recovery tool.

It does sound like the mobo is in its death throes ...