PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Newbie

csinclair83
14-02-2005, 12:45 PM
We've had adsl here for a while, a couple weeks actually, and now we've replaced our couch suite but it means we've had to move the computer/desk etc to a new loaction, and now its 8metres away from the nearest phone jack (normally it was just behind the desk)...is there any of those long cables that have idental ends? as we've got that d-link modem from Telecom.....i've looked on dse but I honestly dont know what to look for...

Is there anything I can do to get ADSL back working again as i cant stand this slooow 56k modem!!??!!? where can I find this long cable that I hope someone knows what i mean....or is there any other ideas, execpt taking the couch suite back

:help:

Thanks in advance

sal
14-02-2005, 01:07 PM
We just bought a phone extension from the $2 shop. plug it into the jack point, line filter on the end of that and adsl modem into the filter. no problems here, average speed around 1.8mbit.

If you can get the phoneline far enough for the 56k modem, then you should be fine, just bung a line filter on the end of it.

csinclair83
14-02-2005, 01:18 PM
ahh so a normal phone extenstion is fine as long tehres a filter on the end of it?
guess u do learn somethign new every day!!.....
thanks heaps :D

Jen
14-02-2005, 01:42 PM
If you want to be able to receive the adsl signal, then you mustn't have a line filter on that extension where the modem plugs in. Line filters are used for telephone devices to filter out the adsl frequency signal. If you wish to have both a regular phone and the modem plugged into the extension, use a double adapter and put the filter on the connection where the phone plugs in. Leave the adsl modem as is. Some adsl filters already have a double adapter built in, one side for the phone which gets filtered and the other side goes straight thru for the adsl modem.

csinclair83
14-02-2005, 02:04 PM
OK i'm kinda confused now..

I had the filer plugged directly into the phone jack...one cable went to the phone, one went to the adsl modem, brilliant...but now i've had to move due to couch location..
and now we have a double adaptor on the jackpoint for phone and the internet which is currently on 56k modem, no adsl stuff is installed,...

for me to return to adsl...what do i do? can someone explain a bit better?

What i have is a 10 metre extenstion cord, 2 filters one with a double adaptor (phone and adsl and one with just phone..) umm the modem of course....cables to either connect via ethernet or usb....and a normal double adaptor (which i currently using for phone and 56k modem, even if one can only be used at a time ie: net or phone)

JJJJJ
14-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Take your present cord (filter to Modem) into DSE as a sample and they will have a longer one or ane extension.
Jack

PaulD
14-02-2005, 02:56 PM
csinclair83 already has enough to do it.
Plug the extension into to wall, add your double adapter filter at your desk with the phone going into the filter side and the modem into the unfiltered side. If you still want a phone at the original location use the normal double adapter at the wall with the extension cord in one side and the single filter+phone on the other.

The wiring in extension cords isn't as good as the in-wall cable as far as noise pickup goes so they should be kept short.

Billy T
14-02-2005, 03:47 PM
The wiring in extension cords isn't as good as the in-wall cable as far as noise pickup goes so they should be kept short.

To be precise, telephone extension cords do not use twisted pairs for the signal conductors, which makes them lossy and very susceptible to external interference. This may cause slow ADSL operation or data drop-outs. Eight metres is too long.

It is preferable to get an extension made up using Cat 5 network cable if you want reliable operation.

As regards filters, the principle is simple: Filters are placed in series with phones, faxes or any device other than your ADSL modem or router.

An ADSL modem or router must be fed direct from the incoming phone line without any impediment to the ADSL signal level. ADSL is a high frequency signal that operates well above telephone frequencies. Filters isolate this signal from phones and other devices to ensure that you get maximum ADSL signal to your modem or router.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

PaulD
14-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Don't forget that one of the reasons that Telecom likes 256K is that it is more tolerant of cabling than Full rate ADSL. Try the extension cord.

Rob99
14-02-2005, 05:18 PM
I would reccomend you leave your ADSL modem next to the phone as you had it origionally.

Buy a longer ethernet patch cable to suite your needs. This cable needs to be a "straight" or "patch" cable and not a "crossover". They can be easily bought from DSE etc.