PDA

View Full Version : LCD ... analog v analog & DVI for an extra $135

Oggy
14-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Hi
Configuring a system and need some advice.
2 options for the display are both 17" LCDs. One is analog only the other is analog with DVI ... for an extra $135. Can you comment on when it would be worthwhile to have the DVI model and when it wouldn't be necessary.

The analog version is the PC manufacturers own model while the other is an UltraSharp model.

Jen
14-02-2005, 10:01 AM
Hi Oggy

There is an informative article on DVI here (http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=1577&p=1) that you may find helpful. Before you get a DVI monitor, you need to make sure your graphic card has DVI-out. $135 can make a difference to your budget, so it really depends on what sort of use you will be giving this computer. If you are only being given two options for a LCD monitor, you may not be getting the best price for a DVI capable LCD. Have you looked elsewhere for a monitor and compared the prices?

I would go for DVI over analog myself.

CYaBro
14-02-2005, 10:21 AM
I too would take DVI over analog but as Jen has already said, check that the graphics card you are using has a DVI connection on it.
Also, that price for DVI seems a bit much! It may be that the analog only LCD comes with a standard warranty while the DVI one might have a 3 year bright pixel warranty.
I would check that too as I would pay the extra to go to a warranty that covers any bright pixels.

FoxyMX
14-02-2005, 11:17 AM
If you can afford the extra cost it would be beneficial to go for the DVI option, as long as your graphics card also has DVI.

A quote from Godfather to support the advantage of DVI over analogue:

DVI is Digital Video Interface, which as above is used for high end displays such as some better LCD's. I use it here and you actually can see the difference.

Video signals produced by the PC are digital, then they get converted to analog by the video card and sent to the monitor via the VGA port.

With DVI they are digital all the way, no conversion (and loss of quality) is needed.

One other significant benefit that I have taken advantage of is that providing your graphics card is DVI capable you are able to run two monitors at once, one an LCD and the other CRT. This means that you can have different programs running on each monitor thereby extending your desktop. It's brilliant. :)

Don't forget that you will need to purchase a DVI cable as an extra though, so allow for that in your budget and also be sure to get the correct one for your monitor as there are several different types.

Oggy
14-02-2005, 11:35 AM
Thanks for your replies everyone. Very helpful.
>The link to the article on DVI was a big helpl thanks Jen
>The price difference is probably because they are different brands
>The video card is set up for DVI so no worries there
>I would imagine that as it's being sold as a PC system it would include the cable. (Fingers crossed though ... nothing surprises me nowdays)

Thanks again

Shortcircuit
14-02-2005, 01:42 PM
some LCDs come with the DVI cable, if yours doesn't might be an idea to get them to supply one with the comp as there are different connections, ie DVI-a DVI-d, DVI-i. (And don't ask Dick Smith for the right one, they just look at you blankly!)

I also agree having purchased an LCD recently that there is an improvement in picture quality using DVI