PDA

View Full Version : Page Files

Greg
14-02-2005, 08:46 AM
I just noticed that although I've got a customised pagefile in my C drive (Operating System partition), all my other partitions on both physical drives have no page file set at all. I didn't change them manually. But anyway my applications and games are on two seperate partitions, and I wondered if I'm suffering any performance loss as a result?

I've now set them to a custom size (384 - 1024), and my Data, Music and Backups partitions I've set to Managed by System).

Is this best?

WinXP Pro SP1

Thanks.

Rob99
14-02-2005, 09:32 AM
How much RAM do you have?

I have played around with these setting a lot in the past, I have never noticed a change in performance.

I believe to get the best out of your XP computer dont fill your HD's up over about full, have at least 512Mb RAM and let Windows manage the page file

Greg
14-02-2005, 09:36 AM
I've just researched the answer to my question, after rebooting and being drastically out of memory.

This from www.theeldergeek.com:

"It looks like 'the more paging files the better' corollary is applicable, and to a point that is true, with one major exception. Do not place more than one paging file on multiple partitions on a single physical hard disk. Performance will decrease because the drive heads perform sequential accesses to different locations on the drive rather than pulling the information from one contiguous location."

Thanks.

drcspy
14-02-2005, 10:36 AM
as far as I'm aware the system only needs to use the one page file for all partitions......

Greg
14-02-2005, 10:48 AM
as far as I'm aware the system only needs to use the one page file for all partitions......

Yep as I just found out. Only benefit of more than one is when they're spread over more than one physical drive.