PDA

View Full Version : 256MB Ram required

campbell_c7
13-02-2005, 11:35 AM
I want to increase my ram. I was looking at getting another 256MB. I have a Dell Dimension L700cx. Not to sure what Ram I can purchase for it. I believe the right ram to purchase is SDRAM PC133 Dimm 256mb but not sure what brands support dell. I searched a few places and found Kingston recommend using KTD-XPSRN/256 for my model. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas of any other that would work for my PC or if anyone new where I could get KTD-XPSRN/256 or similar.

[Edit: this post was a duplicate thread made in the Chat forum. It has now been merged into this thread - Jen (Moderator) ]

campbell_c7
13-02-2005, 11:39 AM
I want to increase my ram. I was looking at getting another 256MB. I have a Dell Dimension L700cx. Not to sure what Ram I can purchase for it. I believe the right ram to purchase is SDRAM PC133 Dimm 256mb but not sure what brands support dell. I searched a few places and found Kingston recommend using KTD-XPSRN/256 for my model. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas of any other that would work for my PC or if anyone new where I could get KTD-XPSRN/256 or similar.

mister harbies
13-02-2005, 11:44 AM
Campbell, you don't need to double post.

Just post your request once and someone will get to you.

the highlander
13-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Though Dells can be picky about ram at times. The last dozen or so I've worked on (optiplex celeron and p3 models mainly) take any sd ram stick you chuck in them , single sided, doulbe sided , pc 100, pc133. I suggest you go to dick smith and a buy a stick there. Its not the cheapest or of the highest quality but they will take it back if it is not compatible.

techie
13-02-2005, 03:15 PM
If you are in Auckland, I would recommend PTL Computers. They are relatively well-priced. Second hand stuff mostly. The guy is experienced with refurbished brand-named systems and has many Dells in stock.

Best to take your machine in. I'm sure he'll work out something for you.

FoxyMX
13-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Just wondering if anyone had any ideas of any other that would work for my PC or if anyone new where I could get KTD-XPSRN/256 or similar.
As Highlander suggested, just get some from Dick Smith and if it doesn't work you can take it back for a refund. I have used DSE RAM in a few "brand name" computers now, including a couple of Dells, without any problems.

campbell_c7
13-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the help just had a look at the Dick Smith internet site. They have 256MB PC133 SDRAM - 16 Chip. Would that one work.

the highlander
13-02-2005, 06:24 PM
No certaintities in life (or ram) but should be fine. Whack it back to them if it isn't and no harm done.
Follow antistatic precautions when inserting said ram i.e don't do a marathon wearing leather shoes on nylon carpet before filddling with it and make sure you earth yourself first.