PDA

View Full Version : Crashtest Dummy

ruup
13-02-2005, 08:52 AM
Hi,I have a problem with my computer crashing.I running XP Pro,1.5ghz Pentium processor .512mb of ram,64mb nvidia video card.Periodically,4/5 times in the course of a day the computer will restart without warning.At first I thought it might be software related so I reformatted the computer,but it made no difference,then I bought a new case to give it better cooling and a better PSU,but it still crashes.Yesterday I gave it a ram test and using Memtest and after 208% Coverage there were 16 errors.There is a message that is displayed each time an error is found which states "Error found with word 6285900 or 6285812 (either could be the source)"So can anyone tell me what is the significance of this message and does the number of errors suggest a problem with the ram,and is this a possible cause for the crashes ? and if not where do I look next ?
any help greatly appreciated
regards
ruup
:badpc:

Sb0h
13-02-2005, 09:13 AM
If you are getting errors running memtest then your RAM is faulty, replace it and you should be fine.

FoxyMX
13-02-2005, 09:31 AM
Definitely sounds like the RAM. How old is your computer? Do you have just one stick of 512MB or two 256MB sticks? Have you tried removing then reseating it? Changing it to another slot?

ruup
13-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Hi,the computer is approx 3 1/2 years old,I have 2 x 256mb modules of ram,I haven't removed and reseated the ram,will give it a go,but I looks like they may need replacement.Thanks for the reply.
cheers
ruup
:badpc:

cjongreen
13-02-2005, 10:50 AM
I notice you didn't say whether your testing the Ram Modules individually with Memtest ie one at a time,,then you can isolate the dud .Otherwise your just assuming that both of them are broken.Then at least you can sell the good one and keep the other for future use.IMO singles sticks are better than dual anyway,course thats not possible with a dual channel m/b.

cjongreen
13-02-2005, 10:51 AM
I mean chuck the other one out...sorry about that.