PDA

View Full Version : Set IP address for HP2200DN LaserJet printer

andrew93
12-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Hi All

I can't believe I have done this because there must be a better way. Hence my question.

I have just reset all of my home network IP addresses and my router IP address to match the default IP address of the LaserJet HP2200DN printer on my network because I couldn't change the IP address on the printer. I know, really daft!

I have tried resetting the IP address on the printer without joy - I have no installation software, I tried Google, hp.com, Press F1 - I even tried doing the cold reset where you depress the Go button as you start the printer which I'm sure I used to do to get the printer assigned an IP address from my network. I have done this previously but can't remember how.....argh! Although I recently changed my home network from "auto assigned IP addresses" to static IP addresses and this might be part of the problem - I'm not sure.

The issue is the LaserJet 2200 series does not have an LCD screen so you can't set the IP address at the printer (incidentally, the 2200 has to be the 2nd to most horrible laser printer released by HP, the 2100 was the worst!) like you can with other HP laser printers.

I know there is a shortcut, because I have done it before. Does anyone know how to set the IP address on the HP 2200DN printer without the installation software? Has anyone else done it? There must be a better way than changing all of the other IP addresses to match the IP address of the printer....

TIA, Andrew

iluvithot
12-02-2005, 10:23 PM
you need to get your hands on jet admin .... you may wish to see if the following link helps:

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/pond/wja/download.cgi?t=r%26l=en%26cc=us%26p=J6052AA%26url= ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software4/COL3194/ja-10750-4/wja78-2988-xp-en.exe&os=Microsoft+Windows+XP

34.8MB

i have tried to configure a 2200 tn in the past and this software seemed to be the only way.

gibler
12-02-2005, 10:25 PM
My steps

1. Print out a configuration page from the printer (hold both buttons down for a few seconds and release for that model from what I remember).
2. Have a look at the IP address:
3. Visit that web address with your browser and configure your heart out.

Now it may be in some wierd 169.254 range or probably something like 192.0.0.2

Or use the HP Web Jetadmin software from HP which allows you to find devices based on hardware (aka ethernet) address.

The printer will try to get an ip address from a DHCP so another plan is to setup a DHCP (or BOOTP) server.

iluvithot
12-02-2005, 10:39 PM
Try downloading direct from the ftp

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software4/COL3194/ja-10750-4/wja78-2988-xp-en.exe

to see whether you can avoid filling in there registration form

robsonde
12-02-2005, 10:41 PM
a full cold reset will make the printer go to DHCP mode.

if the printer cant get a DHCP assigned IP after about 30 seconds it will default to an IP.

print the test page to see what the IP is.

if you want to assign an IP by hand then go to the IP in a web browser and you can set it from there.

if your printer is very old it may not support web config.

if this is the case then use telnet and telnet to the IP and do the config from there.

andrew93
12-02-2005, 11:02 PM
Well I'll be (expletive deleted) blowed . What a helpful bunch of people you all are. And so quick too! Thank you very very much! Typing the IP address into the browser did the trick (plus I can set the time out and other options too) - and to think I was inadvertently getting the IP address via DHCP and the shift from "auto" IP addresses to static was the beginning of the end I didnt even know it .... you learn something every day.
Thanks all.
One very happy chappy, Andrew
:D