PDA

View Full Version : AGP Aperture Size

LiquidRogue
12-02-2005, 04:20 PM
On the back of the instruction manual for my new 256MB BFG Tech Nvidia Geforce 5700FX OC (Overclockers edition) it says to set the AGP Aperture Size on in the bios to the same value as my cards VRAM. Obeying this, I set my AAS from 64MB to 256Mb, but after reading some information on this, it tells me that setting this to such a high value is not recommended. Can someone give me some pointers on how high I should set my AGP Aperture Size?

Oh, and I hear your systems RAM plays an important part in this, so I might as well add that i have 512MB DDR RAM.

Thank you in advance.

From,

A teenager with little hardware knowledge.

chiefnz
12-02-2005, 05:04 PM
The general rule of thunb with the AGP aperture size is that the more RAM your graphics board has the smaller you can set the AGP aperture size to.

You will be best off setting the aperture size to 128MB, this is more than sufficient.

Hope that helps

cheers

chiefnz

ILikeLinux
12-02-2005, 05:06 PM
V= Video ram
A= Apature Size

a=v/2

Ill.

E|im
12-02-2005, 05:33 PM
The general rule of thunb with the AGP aperture size is that the more RAM your graphics board has the smaller you can set the AGP aperture size to.

You will be best off setting the aperture size to 128MB, this is more than sufficient.

chiefnz
Yep, for all your BIOS queries you can look here:
http://www.rojakpot.com/freebog.aspx

To find out what setting works best for you, either 64MB, 128MB or 256MB you can use 3dMark03 or 05 and test each setting out. With my X800Pro @ XT PE (256MB RAM) I found 128MB to give the best performance.