PDA

View Full Version : webserving - getting past my modem

Midavalo
12-02-2005, 03:42 PM
To move on from my other thread about setting up my PC for webserving.

I managed to set up port forwarding thanks to help from people here. However when I try to connect to my external internet IP I get the login screen for my modem's configuration page - yes this is from my external IP, not the local one. I thought that the port forwarding should make it so that the connection is forwarded through to my web server - is that right?

What have I done wrong?

Midavalo.

Canto
12-02-2005, 05:55 PM
well i dont know if this will help but when i setup my FTP under a router, the external ip gave me to my router too, and i could only connect with my internal ip, but other pl on the net can conncet to ftp though my external ip, just not me but since they could access it, so i didnt minded, ask some to access ur server

Midavalo
12-02-2005, 06:09 PM
Interesting... Chill also suggested I try getting someone else to access it, so I'll see if my brother can later tonight or tomorrow. I'll post back the result.

Cheers,
Midavalo.

gibler
12-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Can you change the config page for the modem to use another port (i.e. not 80)?

sal
12-02-2005, 11:52 PM
if you forwarded port 80, all should be fine. you wont be able to view your site using your public ip locally. only localhost/127.0.0.1 should be of use to view your webserver 'status'/content.

getting someone else to test from another location as mentioned earlier should prove well.

Chilling_Silence
13-02-2005, 12:08 AM
You can otherwise try port-forwarding from external port 81 to internal port 80.
Then type:
http://xxx.yyy.zzz.xyz:81

It will let you know if your router is able to forward requests from an internal IP. Mine cant, but I know that some of the more expensive (read: not budget like mine) can do it.

Otherwise, give your brother your IP (Provided he is in another location) and ask him.

PM me with your IP if you want and I'd be happy to help.

Did you save/apply the changes and restart the router after setting up the forwards?

Chill.

Terry Porritt
13-02-2005, 07:19 AM
I checked my ftp server by using a dial up modem on another computer.

Midavalo
13-02-2005, 08:58 AM
Thanks people - you gave me an idea. Used an anonymous proxy to connect, and got the correct page (not the modem config page) :D

So now I'm happy. Now to figure out how to get PHP to work on IIS again (haven't done it for a couple of years)

Thanks again,
M.