PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Modem not turning off

Mattrix
12-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Hi all :)
I have recently fitted a new adsl modem to my computer, its a
DSL-302G made by dynalink, I have it connected via ethernet cable,
my problem is that it stays on all the time, it runs fairy warm to touch, there is no off switch anywhere, is it possible to have my computer turn it off when it shuts down? I have looked in the bios settings and have disabled wake on lan, does anyone know where there mite be some other options in windows

bartsdadhomer
12-02-2005, 02:02 PM
they are a cheap unit with no on/off/reboot switch as you've already found out
the only way to turn it off/reboot is to pull the power plug
you can reboot thru the admin panel, but that's a hassle & time consuming

FoxyMX
12-02-2005, 02:06 PM
There should be no harm done leaving the modem running all the time as they are designed for doing that but if you want to turn it off when you close down the computer just turn off the switch at the wall or pull the plug out.

I have all my plugs in a multi-plug board so that after shutting down the computer I just need to turn off one switch and everything is turned off.

Tux
12-02-2005, 02:10 PM
adsl is designed to be running full time, so if you have a computer off, and the dsl is still on, it shouldnt produce much traffic, maybe a couple of kb a day, not much,

Murray P
12-02-2005, 02:56 PM
It's a D-Link router not Dynalink. They don't have a power off button, there's no harm in leaving it on unless it is faulting because of overheating. You could switch it off at the wall, should just power up and connect, try it and see. Don't touch the factory reset hole in the back, you'll regret it if you do.

iluvithot
12-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Those are the same modems that Xtra are giving away with their broadband deals at the moment..... and from what i have seen of them, they are crap compared to the likes of Netgears DG632 ADSL Modem Router which retail for around $130.

Between the 4 or 5 clients we have that signed up and received a free adsl modem, all lock up, they end up having to pull the power on them every day or so, and have taken up to 10 minutes to negiotate a connect to Xtra.

Anyone else finding this with the dsl302 router/modems?
Any idea's why they do this? Upgraded the firmware on the 4 port version and made little difference.

KiwiGPS
20-05-2005, 10:36 PM
I sent this information to D-Link:

Three weeks ago I noticed the case of the DSL-302G modem was warm and there was a faint "electrical burning" smell. I disconnected the modem and took the cover off to see if there was anything obviously amiss - all appeared fine though the toroids(?) were quite warm. After it cooled down I have been using it successfully since. However the case cover has remained off and the unit is vertical with vent slots clear of the table & toroids uppermost to maximise heat loss. I also unplug the power connector at the back of the modem each night and if not using it for long periods during the day.

The input voltage from the plug pack is 11.1V AC, the specified input is 9V of course. The house voltage at the same time was 235V. The room temperature has not been above 22 degrees.

... and got this reply:

Thank you for writing to us. If you are not using the modem, it also recommended to turn it off. The normal operating temperature is 0 – 40 deg C,Storage Temperature• - 20 – 55 deg C,Operating Humidity - • 20 – 95% non-condensing.

Well it would be handy if it had a switch! I can eaily fit one. Better still to turn the whole computing set-up off as suggested in other places I found when searching on this model number. Have others measured the output voltage of the plug pack? The case has been refitted and the temperature seems fine these last few days. I still leave it vertical with the power cord end uppermost and the bottom clear of the table. Thanks - Tony.

tweak'e
20-05-2005, 10:43 PM
personally i would turn it off when ever you are not useing it. there is a risk that someone may dos attack you (or even a lot of misdirected traffic). while it won't affect you as your pc is off, it can use up quite a lot of your monthy usage with the possibility of excess traffic charges.

kumaraguy
20-05-2005, 11:11 PM
Those are the same modems that Xtra are giving away with their broadband deals at the moment..... and from what i have seen of them, they are crap compared to the likes of Netgears DG632 ADSL Modem Router which retail for around $130.

Between the 4 or 5 clients we have that signed up and received a free adsl modem, all lock up, they end up having to pull the power on them every day or so, and have taken up to 10 minutes to negiotate a connect to Xtra.

Anyone else finding this with the dsl302 router/modems?
Any idea's why they do this? Upgraded the firmware on the 4 port version and made little difference.

Yes, have had the same experience and no idea why

Safari
20-05-2005, 11:35 PM
adsl is designed to be running full time, so if you have a computer off, and the dsl is still on, it shouldnt produce much traffic, maybe a couple of kb a day, not much,

ADSL is not "designed" as such to be running full time, it can be turned off just as a dialup modem can. It can be left on as it does not disable the phone and usage is not charged by time so many people leave it on for convenience not because it is designed to be left on.

If it is not in constant use and you are not completely protected from all possible security issues I would suggest turning off the power to the modem as it only take 10 secs or so to log back in when you require it.

Turn off your computer or disconnect its Ethernet interface when you are not using it. An intruder cannot attack your computer if it is powered off or otherwise completely disconnected from the network.

Some information at this link about security and what you can do to protect yourself.
http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/home_networks.html#III-A

tweak'e
20-05-2005, 11:50 PM
Turn off your computer or disconnect its Ethernet interface when you are not using it. An intruder cannot attack your computer if it is powered off or otherwise completely disconnected from the network.

but they can still attack the modem. wasn't there a firmware exploit a while ago ??

Terry Porritt
21-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Just to add; the plug pack voltage is only really meaningful if measured when it is plugged in to the modem and is under load.

KiwiGPS
22-05-2005, 12:42 AM
Thanks Terry for the reminder - quite right - the voltage at the circuit board, while running, was 10.1V AC while the mains was 234V AC at the time.

tedheath
22-05-2005, 12:43 AM
My dsl 302g modem stays very warm, pretty close to hot. I always shut down the computer when not using it.
I am picking it is using a lot of electricity.
I think Telecom might be up for big damages soon as I am sure they will start catcing fire.
I cant belive they make something like this which draws a lot of power with no on off switch.
tedheath

Billy T
22-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Modems don't use a lot of power Ted, check the wattage rating on the case or power pack, it will probably be 15 watts or less. If a power pack is used, that rating may be a lot more than the amount actually consumed by the device.

Localised heat can be generated by 2-3 watts of energy, usually from the internal power regulator, and in a small enclosure it will heat quite nicely! There is rarely anything to worry about.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

KiwiGPS
27-05-2005, 07:59 PM
I fitted the temperature sensor of a digital "indoor / outdoor" thermometer in the case at the power end and noted 43 degrees C with an ambient of 21. The pdf data sheet says the operating temp is 0 to 40 while the Spec sheet says 0-50. Whatever it is, higher temps cause earlier electronics failures so I opened up the restricted vent slots by removing the thin dividing bars. I guess they are designed to keep staples & the like out of the works. Temp now stays around 36 now.

Current drawn by the plug pack is 33mA when in use, 31mA when not in use. That's around 7.5 watts - or $10 to 12 per year if never turned off. And that's only 1 plug pack of the collection behind my desk!