PDA

View Full Version : sharing a USB printer in Win98se

nj2t
11-02-2005, 11:02 PM
I've tried everyway I can think of to share an HP USB printer between two Windows 98SE PCs but although I can see the printer and connect to it from the client it says the printer is offline and won't print to it. I can share folders OK so I think all the sharing is right. Some info I found indicates it's hard or impossiible to get USB printers to share in Win98.
Any thoughts on how it may be possible?
Nj2t

gibler
12-02-2005, 12:45 AM
printer share names don't have spaces in them and are less than 12 characters?

try a new driver for win98 from hp or try using another hp driver of a similiar model.
I believe it is supposed to be possible but wierd (or incomplete) drivers may cause it to fail.

If you have the $$ you can get usb to ethernet printer servers, or usb printer switches.

Mercury
12-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Hi,

Similar problem came up a week or two back.

Try here (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=54092) for the answer.

nj2t
12-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Thanks Mercury - done all that though , in fact the HP wizard led me through it.
I feel it may be the USB thing that's my problem. May try setting up a parralle port printer to test that theory.

Mercury
12-02-2005, 10:05 PM
...hard or impossiible to get USB printers to share in Win98.
Hmm, I have a USB printer connected to XP machine and can use it from the Win98 machines. Can't remember if I had the printer before XP or not.

You could try physically moving the printer to each of the machines and setting it up as a local printer. Test it works on each computer.

Next step, return it to where it belongs and change the path manually on the networked machines.

Oh, and if your printer is named something like USB001 - make sure you are using zeros - 0 - or ohs - O as required.

...Which reminds me, new printer arrived yesterday, must set the driver up on the other machines...