PDA

View Full Version : Disk Imaging Software

Dannz
10-02-2005, 06:15 PM
I am looking for a Cheap or Free Disk Imaging Program that supports 50 GB drives (1 image or parts) and NTFS and i dont want GHOST

Chilling_Silence
10-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Try Partimage

Dannz
10-02-2005, 06:49 PM
How about a program for DOS so i can run it from a dos boot disk/Cd as i am not good enough with linux

Chilling_Silence
11-02-2005, 12:18 AM
Would a LiveCD do the Job? 102MB Download? There are people here who are happy to help should you not be able to find your way around the program.

Basically its dead easy to use

http://sysresccd.org/

Grab that CD and you'll also have QtParted for Non-Destructive partitioning, amongst many other things!

Chill.

Dannz
11-02-2005, 03:50 PM
Sorry to bring this up from yesterday but does partimage have support for writing to an NTFS or FAT32 Drive?

Chilling_Silence
11-02-2005, 05:27 PM
Yes :)

Did you go to the Website? http://partimage.org/

Prescott
11-02-2005, 05:41 PM
yea need a seperate partion for you store your image or can you burn to a cdr straight away? ive got partimage but havent used it, say if you image 10GB is the image file 10GB? or is it compressed?

Dannz
11-02-2005, 05:45 PM
I think it is compressed

Bazza
11-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Does anyone have experience with "Casper"

Information is here: http://www.fssdev.com/

From what I've read there, I'm impresed.

Seems to do all the imaging, partition things.

Although I have not tried it yet.

Any comments are welcome.

Chilling_Silence
11-02-2005, 09:47 PM
CasperXP screams "buy buy but" to me when I see that site.....

With partimage you can also backup across the Network.
It can use either gzip or bzip2 compression.

Chill.

cjongreen
11-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Don't know why you don't like Ghost you can pick it up for next to nothing at pc fleamarkets these days.The sysrescecd looks interesting..pity the home sites are so useless with their information...virtally no ones questions get answered..pretty hopeless and typically Linux.

Chilling_Silence
11-02-2005, 11:50 PM
Can I ask what questions you requiring answering? It seems relatively straight forward... Aside from the fact that Linux is probably one of the more documented products available online.... Tons more than Windows or anything else that comes to mind.

Perhaps second only to Automobiles!

Dannz
12-02-2005, 07:53 AM
i see the NTFS support is only experimental and migh not work all the time

cjongreen
12-02-2005, 08:25 AM
I don't really have a question but here's one off the top of my head.Once I've booted up with the Sysrescucd what command or utility on the disc enables me to mount my Ntfs partition and then say view the files with MidnightCommander.My comment was a general one about the lack of people answering questions in the forums at both the Sysrescue site and the Partimage site.

Chilling_Silence
12-02-2005, 08:52 AM
Yeah, but Ive done about 6 images with NTFS all fine.

cjongreen: captive-ntfs

Give it a whirl... whats the worst that can happen? you dont like it and look elsewhere?
Its only 100mb of bandwidth...

jayess
12-02-2005, 08:57 AM
I am looking for a Cheap or Free Disk Imaging Program that supports 50 GB drives (1 image or parts) and NTFS and i dont want GHOST
I am curious to know why you would not use the Ghost for windows, which saves all the C: drive partition - as it works and saves in dos. When I format the C:drive partition I install every application etc on C: ((BEFORE) connecting to the Internet) and save this image file on a seperate hard drive. I redirect all email, docs, pics and projects to this spare drive so I am comfortable with a complete rewrite on C: Have worked this for over 3 years much better than "system restore" as it clears all the nasties and the comp comes back up to top speed..

cjongreen
12-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Re #15..Yip figured that one out...man sysresccd is pretty useful..I'm a bit of a noob with Linux,good fun playing around with these things.

Bazza
23-02-2005, 08:09 PM
CasperXP screams "buy buy but" to me when I see that site.....

With partimage you can also backup across the Network.
It can use either gzip or bzip2 compression.

Chill.

Thanks for that Chill. But was that helpful? Of course they want you to "Buy". Dont they all? If you can advise of any good free ones, please let me know.

What I asked, was if anyone has experience with Casper.

If you care to look at the reviews & user opinions, it seems very good, with many options. Has anyone used it? What do you think?

braindead
08-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Does Old Ghost happen to work with saving and restoring Vista 64bit partitions? Neither Acronis or Ghost 14 can do so without screwing with the Restore CD.

Thanks!

Chilling_Silence
08-02-2009, 09:05 PM
braindead, this post is 4 years old ... Vista wasnt out then! Try a new thread next time ;)

Use partimage, that will work :)