but no go with the browser or ping. I get errors 789,735 or 733. Internet
connection is enabled , but DHCP on host is disabled

Any ideas appreciated. This is my first post so constructive critisism is also
welcome. Thanks

Chilling_Silence
10-02-2005, 05:29 PM
Hi Yenpaul,

Welcome to PressF1.

Im not sure I fully follow - Are you sharing the internet using a Win2k machine?
What are these errors? Ping errors? IE Errors? Do they change randomly or can you do something to make them change?
How have you setup ICS?

Do you have a firewall on either PC?
How are you connecting to the Internet?

Regards

Chill.

yenpaul
10-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the reply

Yes I am trying to use Win2k Pro as a proxy to the internet with other
machines on my network. Currently just one on 192.168.0.2, working fine
lan wise, and is able to remotely connect my jetstream but no xtra page
found when I use Mozilla from the blah .02 address so I suspect my gateway
address to be at fault. I have not set up a domain or anything sophisticated.
Xtra gives help for this when running XP (which is a XP feature anyway) but
MS seem to bury this info. I suspect I will have to learn MMC. Firewall is
ZA but I have configured already. Not an issue. Just the browser.

Simply_Si
10-02-2005, 06:29 PM
Hi Yenpaul,

I take it that you have added the gateway address (Win 2K computer) into your TCP/IP settings area for the second computer? Can the second computer ping an external IP such as our host 210.48.100.12

If this works you should then try to ping www.pcworld.co.nz and see if that works.

If the IP address ping works and the URL ping doesn't, that will mean that it is most likely a DNS problem.

Let us know the results.

Cheers

Si

yenpaul
10-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Oh by the way, ICS is set on auto.
Maybe someone can tell me how to get the text to come out right. Do I just keep typing is that it. Lets see. Sorry guys, testing. My first two posts looked ugly.

Yes that looks better

Chilling_Silence
10-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Not really.... Pings dont go out through the proxy...

Hmm....

Simply_Si
10-02-2005, 06:40 PM
Sorry about the last post. Should have read your first one properly :blush:

If you go to this Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/error_contents.asp) page it gives a list of the error messages. The 733 and 735 mention ppp which would seem to imply that you are using an internal ADSL modem.

Is this correct?

yenpaul
10-02-2005, 07:29 PM
This is the crux of it. What should the gateway address be? Currently the default gateway on the host is 192.168.0.1 and on the client( 2nd) machine it is set to 192.168.0.1, with xtra dns servers stated.

FoxyMX
10-02-2005, 07:57 PM
This is the crux of it. What should the gateway address be? Currently the default gateway on the host is 192.168.0.1 and on the client( 2nd) machine it is set to 192.168.0.1, with xtra dns servers stated.
Change the client machine to 192.168.0.2.

yenpaul
10-02-2005, 09:16 PM
The client machine is 192.168.0.2. It lives happily on this address. It is the gateway address I need to input in IE or Mozilla re their network connections
settings that I am puzzling over. The identical xtra dns addresses in host work fine, so thanks for the suggestions people.

Murray P
10-02-2005, 09:36 PM
The gateway address on the client PC's should be the IP address of the host, the one with the modem that connects to Xtra/WAN, DNS is all the same on all PC's.

Sometimes, MS ICS can be a bit wobbley.

What are your setting for the network adaptor card in the host/gateway? I'm a bit rusty on ICS, please forgive me if I've (mis)stated the obvious.

yenpaul
11-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Thanks I'll check those other settings sometime in the weekend.