PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Laptop brightness control not responding

brig
10-02-2005, 09:10 AM
Toshiba Satellite S1670 CDS
Windows 98SE

I've just replaced the dead hard drive on this friends laptop and used the original supplied recovery disk to install Windows 98SE

No problems there.

I used the specified keyboard controls to reduce the display brightness and contrast for no other reason than personal preference and they did alter the screen, but the controls stopped responding (Fn+updown/left right arrows). The it's now stuck at being overly bright and almost no contrast, and no way to alter this.

I know little about laptops and nothing about LCD displays. A web search has produced nothing apparently relevant.

Anyone know what's going on?

brig

brig
12-02-2005, 08:30 AM
I fixed it.....colour is back to normal.

I attached an external keyboard to the laptop and the colour control keys functioned from there.

I still have no idea why the laptop up/down left/right keys stopped responding

Graham L
12-02-2005, 02:52 PM
You may have bumped the flat cable(s) from the keyboard to motherboard. The connectors are very tricky to get right. If the rest of the keyboard's buttons work, I'd leave well alone.;)

brig
12-02-2005, 04:52 PM
You may have bumped the flat cable(s) from the keyboard to motherboard. The connectors are very tricky to get right. If the rest of the keyboard's buttons work, I'd leave well alone.;)

Thanks

Your suggestion is probably spot on....I did more than bump them, I took both cables out and replaced them, thinking it would be ok.

I promise I'll never open another laptop....ever!