PDA

View Full Version : CD Reader/writer problem

R.M.
09-02-2005, 05:25 PM
HI all - I'm trying to write a cd at the moment, and for some reason the drive will neither write or read a cd. When I put a cd in, it says:
"Please insert a disk into Drive F" - this is when there is a disk already in the drive with the door closed. The same thing occurs when I try to write to cd...

The operating system I use is Windows 2K, the CD writer is a cheapy - BCT BCE32121M.

Ideas/solutions? Am I doing something daft?

Thanks again in anticipation
R.M. :help:

Misty
09-02-2005, 05:53 PM
HI all - I'm trying to write a cd at the moment, and for some reason the drive will neither write or read a cd. When I put a cd in, it says:
"Please insert a disk into Drive F" - this is when there is a disk already in the drive with the door closed. The same thing occurs when I try to write to cd...

The operating system I use is Windows 2K, the CD writer is a cheapy - BCT BCE32121M.

Ideas/solutions? Am I doing something daft?

Thanks again in anticipation
R.M. :help:

Hi RM
Is this one that you thought you had written to before ? I have had this problem many times. Sometimes because I had not finalised the CD (what do they call it again - closed, or something ?) ie made it one session or finalised a multisession. Sometimes, I persevered, and eventually what was written would show.

Anyway, I am sure that someone (or many people) more knowledgeable than I will respond. Am interested in your replies !
Misty :2cents:

R.M.
09-02-2005, 06:05 PM
Thanks for a prompt reply Misty - I have 2 cd drives, and the other one (read only) reads the disk ok. I have been having more than I would expect failures writing to CD lately, and wonder if the drive has failed! :annoyed:

Cheers
R.M.

Metla
09-02-2005, 06:25 PM
I had a BTC drive, I had to slam the draw in to get it to detect any media.

Murray P
09-02-2005, 06:26 PM
It's just this disc or burnt discs is it?

Are you using your usual media that has been successful before?

No software changes, shouldn't matter but...

If the drive won't read anything, what shows up in Device Manager?

Is there a firmware/driver update for the drive?

Power off, unplug and boot, cleanup then reverse the procedure to reinstall as new hardware.

Edit: Oh, and have you tried slamming the drawer closed :D

R.M.
09-02-2005, 07:33 PM
Murray - that has kept me occupied for a while!
Answers:
1.This problem is will all cds, including audio cds
2.I am using the same media...
3.Have had a few software changes, but everything has worked fine after the changes.
4.I went through all the Device Mangers suggestions (and all say that everything is fine - the drive shows there) and I have uninstalled drivers/reinstalled drivers
5.I installed the latest firmware/driver update - no change
6.I'm not sure what you mean by this - sorry! I have rebooted. The drive is an internal one.
7. And yes, I slammed the door vigourously several times!

Over to you...

Thanks
R.M. :badpc:

tweak'e
09-02-2005, 08:28 PM
its a BTC. i have had a few with this same problem. throw it away. cd burners are so cheap these days.........

R.M.
09-02-2005, 09:04 PM
Tweak'e - yes, I was rapidly coming to that conclusion! What do others recommend (I'll be looking at a DVD writer/reader, that does CDs as well). Are there any brands I should stay away from... Other pitfalls?

And now I must away to bed - to fight the good fight another day!
Cheers
R.M. :)

Misty
11-02-2005, 01:23 AM
I had a BTC drive, I had to slam the draw in to get it to detect any media.

Hi Metla
Not sure what this means - slam the drawer in ? The drives I have seen close themselves at a constant speed. Presumably BTC is different ?
Misty :confused:

FoxyMX
11-02-2005, 06:48 AM
Hi Metla
Not sure what this means - slam the drawer in ? The drives I have seen close themselves at a constant speed. Presumably BTC is different ?
It is probably just one of Metla's unique ways of dealing with troublesome hardware. :p

Metla
11-02-2005, 08:49 AM
Hi Metla
Misty :confused:

To get the BTC drive i had to detect media I would have to close normally via the eject button,then when it had approx 1.5cm of travel left I would leap in like a Ninja and drove it home with my thumb, In extreme situation i would then have to wiggle the front of the draw up and down.

If that didnt work I would eject the tray,spin the cd with my finger and ram the draw in from full extension.

Murray P
11-02-2005, 09:12 AM
6.I'm not sure what you mean by this - sorry! I have rebooted. The drive is an internal one.

I mean physically remove the cables from the drive, one end will do. To be sure, reboot then shut down and reconnect everything. It's a long shot, but it might just jog something into place.

From Metla's work around, I suspect the fault lies in the mechanics of the reader or the laser itself.

If slamming works, do so until it does no more. Another couple of weeks and DVD burners will have dropped another $20 or so :thumbs: