PDA

View Full Version : I need quick advice on pci sata cards

Rpg_pro
08-02-2005, 07:56 PM
OK im looking at few pci sata cards for my pc, i brought a new mobo but it doesnt have onboard sata, but i was told the pci cards are better cause its less load on the cpu. Anyways i found a few.... ranging from $75 to $450 :xmouth: What exactly do i need to look for in these cards? all i want it for is to use sata drives faster than ide. Mainly for gaming. Will any card that allows me to use sata do?

Thanks

wintertide
08-02-2005, 09:03 PM
The cards won't transfer data to and from the HDD's as fast as onboard SATA due to the speed of the PCI bus, but if you don't care too much about slightly less speed (don't think the speed drop is noticeable? not sure) just get any card but don't go for a no-brand one as that could cause problems.

Rpg_pro
08-02-2005, 09:19 PM
But using pci sata is still faster than using onboard ide right? like noticeable differences in say gaming and loading speeds?

Metla
08-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Nope,Its the read speed that is the bottleneck not the transfer speed.

To make use of faster transfer you need to set it up in a raid configuration (2 drives)

You will also find different brands/models have different performance irrilivent of the method of communicating with the mobo.