PDA

View Full Version : Wierd computer goings-on! (and network probs.)

Mada
08-02-2005, 02:22 PM
My 3 month old computer is doing some strange things! Twice, it has turned itself on when the phone rings (not on standby, it was OFF) :illogical and now our network has packed up. I've checked the cable (all sweet) and the network card to see if it wasn't pushed in properly (no problem here).
I have come to the conclusion that my computer is being zapped by very small power surges, because sometimes our lights flicker. Why our ('97) surge protector isn't stopping 'em, I don't know (to small to trip the fuse?).
Also, since '98, all of our computers (not my Dad's office computers though) have had their CD-ROM drives pack up within 2 years of each other.
Any ideas?

PaulD
08-02-2005, 02:29 PM
Check your BIOS for a turn on on Modem or Ring setting.
How many comps had CD drives fail? Are there any smokers or lots of dust polluting the optics?

Murray P
08-02-2005, 03:33 PM
As per Paul's suggestion, check the BIOS for Wake on Ring or Wake on LAN, disable both.

You can also find settings for this in your Network Adapter > Properties (in, Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager), and/or in your modem Properties.

Some backdoor type malware use this to wake your PC, do a scan with up to date anti virus and spyware/malware programmes. They can't do much with the ability disabled though.

Mada
09-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Check your BIOS for a turn on on Modem or Ring setting.
How many comps had CD drives fail? Are there any smokers or lots of dust polluting the optics?

Two computers. Only the first actually massacred the CD drives :annoyed: . The second might have started to kill one that was transferred to another computer (in the house) before it died. I do not want my new DVD drive to die!

Rob99
09-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Two CD drives packing up like that is probally unrelated, then again we can not rule out user error.

Mada
09-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Oh well, what am I moaning about? All past history. Besides, CD drives are only $30 now. The main problem is the network.

Rob99
09-02-2005, 11:05 AM
What is wrong with the network, can you ping the other computers

Mada
09-02-2005, 02:16 PM
Hmm, I'll give it a go. By the way, do you think spyware had anything to do with it?
I ran Spybot S&D and it picked up some nasties.