PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest legal route to XP ?

Organicpete
08-02-2005, 09:42 AM
I had a wee look at XP SP2 after only win98se....
seems a bit more useful than 98...

next question is what is the cheapest way to get the whale ?
DSE do $179... is that about rock bottom?
Only home use so don't need professional...
is an upgrade as stable as a full jobby?

cheers
Pete

Metla
08-02-2005, 09:48 AM
An upgrade is your worst choice.

Your best bet is to get the OEM version and do a clean install.

Metla
08-02-2005, 10:03 AM
Just looked at the DSE site, they require the purchase of a computer in order to get that copy of XP.

Morgenmuffel
08-02-2005, 10:11 AM
You might want to ask around, I was told (a while ago now) that you could get the oem version if you purchased a 'significant' piece of system hardware, and that other shops out there would sell it to you if you bought an ide cable, I am actually looking to buying XP in the very near future, so i would be interested to see how you get on.

Metla
08-02-2005, 10:19 AM
The idea is that buy purchasing an OEM version you become the System builder and MS arenít responsible for any support, though I can't imagine they have a helpdesk setup for customers who purchased the full copy.

The requirement that you purchase an internal component is just to re-enforce this position or designation, the required purchase is nether defined by MS (apart from stipulating it be internal) nor policed.

anek dotal
08-02-2005, 11:39 AM
Ascent Technologies www.ascent.co.nz do XP Home of $165.73. But if you are currently running 98SE, you'll probably need to upgrade your hardware to run XP, in that case the best option would be a new tower with XP installed. What hardware are you running?

Organicpete
08-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the replies...
Got the message about clean load :)

My hardware seems better off with XP ...
My meagre p3/550/256/gf2/200 is managing to run it...

I just want something that will keep my daughter happy with a fecking media player that opens more than 90% of files....
and I can Thunderbird, Firefox and Grand Prix Legends on it :)

I know the best route to XP is a new box but we gotta eat too :o

cheers
Pete

PaulD
08-02-2005, 12:21 PM

Doesn't the XP upgrade just do a check that you have the old 98/ME cd if you want to do a clean install with it?

JJJJJ
08-02-2005, 01:05 PM

What's supposed to wrong with the upgrade. I've been using one since the release date. The only slight inconvenience is you have to stick your 98 (or whateveer) disk in for about five seconds to prove you qualify.

The worst possible way to get XP is to buy a computer with XP already installed. No disk and the back up in a partition on your HD.

Jack

Metla
08-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Whatís wrong with an upgrade?

Its more expensive then a full OEM copy which can be sourced easily and legally.

If you upgrade over an existing install of Windows you can carry over any issues, and I have yet to see one perform as snappy as they should.... and most are sluggish and unstable.

If you only have a recovery cd then youíre just plain out of luck.

Certainly they work excellently when you use them to do a fresh install and you can run the cd verifier first to get going but the cons imo outweigh the pro's.... quite honestly I can't think of a pro....

Take into consideration that this is just my view on the subject; Iím not trying to lay down a new law on the status of OS upgrades.

JJJJJ
08-02-2005, 01:31 PM
When I bought mine it was the cheapest available.

Anyone who installs the upgrade on top of 98 deserves all the trouble he will get. Even MS recommended uninstalling the previous OS before using the upgrade.

Jack

Jester
08-02-2005, 01:39 PM
I purchased the XP Pro Ugrade Academic version when putting together my PC a year ago, well my wife did, who was a student at the time. It is avalable to students and teachers.

All I needed to do to prove I had an earlier version of Windows was to put my Win 98 CD in the tray when asked. It read it, spat it out, and i carried on with the install. No need to have Windows installed at all. I have also since carried out a full reformat and reinstall without any problems.

As far as I am aware there's no diff between the academic upgrade and the full version.

Available from Dick Smiths for $148.00

DSE Link XP Pro upgrade (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42080b120b89f5aa2742c0a87f9906e5/Product/View/XS5950)

E|im
08-02-2005, 03:55 PM
"I" would get the cheapest possible option you can. If it's an upgrade version, then seeing you've paid for an official license, instead of using the upgrade CD and getting the problems that come with it, download the full version off the internet (P2P) and use the CD key that you paid for.

Of course if 'upgrade' wasn't the cheapest option, I wouldn't go down that road.

PaulD
08-02-2005, 04:37 PM
[QUOTE=E|imIf it's an upgrade version, then seeing you've paid for an official license, instead of using the upgrade CD and getting the problems that come with it, download the full version off the internet (P2P) and use the CD key that you paid for.

[/QUOTE]

As previously stated you can do a fresh install with an upgrade CD which gives same result as full CD. You can't mix and match product keys between Upgrade, OEM and Full CDs

Organicpete
08-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Thanks Guys
Cheers for the link Jester :)
Pete

Sam I Am
08-02-2005, 05:50 PM
"I" would get the cheapest possible option you can. If it's an upgrade version, then seeing you've paid for an official license, instead of using the upgrade CD and getting the problems that come with it, download the full version off the internet (P2P) and use the CD key that you paid for.

Of course if 'upgrade' wasn't the cheapest option, I wouldn't go down that road.

Ok, correct me if Im wrong, but wouldnt that still be illegal?

Jester
08-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Thanks Guys
Cheers for the link Jester :)
Pete

You're welcome.

E|im, the 'upgrade' I linked to is the full version, too. :p

Poppa John
08-02-2005, 08:42 PM
I had a wee look at XP SP2 after only win98se....
seems a bit more useful than 98...

next question is what is the cheapest way to get the whale ?
DSE do $179... is that about rock bottom?
Only home use so don't need professional...
is an upgrade as stable as a full jobby?

cheers
Pete

Why don't you talk directly to Metla via Private messaging... PJ
PS He is in Wanganui as well PJ

Greg
09-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Why don't you talk directly to Metla via Private messaging

That's a good idea. It would be cool to see more people use PressF1'ers for computer products and services. (assuming they're competitive in their pricing of course)

I wouldn't buy hardware from someone out-of town, but software definitly yes.