PDA

View Full Version : Stumped....

MSJGary
07-02-2005, 09:51 PM
This is a rather long and complicated issue, so please bear with me. I have a Shuttle Spacewalker motherboard and an 800 mhz processor. One 256 meg dimm and two 128's. I have been experiencing a Windows Protection Error on boot. I can install Windows 95 and it runs smoothly, but when I try either win98 or XP I get the protection error consistently on boot. These are the steps I have taken, and in every instance I get the same result. I have swapped my ram in every single slot, and attempted every possible combination. I have booted to each one individually in each of the three slots. I get the same result each time. I have tried two different video cards, a NVIDIA TNT2 card (which I thought was the problem because BIOS was reading the onboard memory as system memory). I'm currently using a ATI Radeon 7000 series card. I have yet to be able to install the drivers for it, though, as I can't boot except into safe mode (no CD rom available). I should point out that I burned the floppy drive controller on the board quite a while ago (it worked fine for a year and a half - without floppy) after that. I have a windows 98 Bootable CD that I can boot to. I have reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled fresh copies, including doing a format /mbr before hand, of the OS countless times. Each time I get the same result. This machine was working fine until I did a Microsoft Update, and then the crash started. I have pretty much exhausted my ideas for how to fix it, and would appreciate any insight. Please, if you can, email me directly at Musicstreetjournal@hotmail.com. I'll try to check back at this forum, but direct email assistance would definitely be more conducive.

gibler
07-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Check for bios updates.
You may need to change your bios settings (e.g. load safe/defau;t options or try to clear the cmos).

Also try some updated motherboard drivers.

But my guess is that it is a bios issue/ or your motherbaord is damag,ed
Trying new IDE cables can't hurt too.

Check the memory with a tool like memtest86 (and let it run a while) and hard drive for bad sectors/faults with the relevant makers diag tools.

Rob99
08-02-2005, 12:30 AM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q149962/

cjongreen
08-02-2005, 01:16 AM
mmm yer well I know you said you tried every combination of memory does that mean you put 1 stick in the slot closest to the cpu(preferably the largest) and tried it and the same thing happened.Multiple sticks of different sized/types memory would be just asking for trouble in my opinion.98/xp are bound to be more memory stressful than win95..anyway good luck.

MSJGary
08-02-2005, 01:20 AM
Yes, by different combos, I first tried each stick three different times by itself...once in each slot, for a total of nine times. Same thing happened with every stick and every slot. I still find it odd that everything worked fine until I did a windows upgrade, but by replacing the mbr and formatting reinstalling, nothing from the upgrade should be left behind, right?

cjongreen
08-02-2005, 01:24 AM
Yer if you did the Fdisk thing and formatted then the drive should be clean so its got to be hardware.

MSJGary
08-02-2005, 07:09 AM
Do you know, is there anyway to get the BIOS upgrade without having to pay? Apparently the board is no longer supported by the manufacturer, and they send you straight to AWARD. They have you call them, and when you do they tell you that the BIOS upgrade will probably fix it, but it's 60 dollars for the upgrade.

cjongreen
08-02-2005, 09:04 AM
Having re read your first post I note you have a bootable cd.Is this the same as a bootable floppy which gives you all the same options because if it isn't then its unlikely that you have properly cleansed the hard drive of all the dross thats left over after your other installs etc .Your in a bit of a dilemma without the proper tools for the job.As for sending the board away for a Bios upgrade it simply wouldn't be worth the money,better to dump the thing and get another one from say Trademe.I do have a sort of code that you type in to wipe the contents of a hard drive but then again you need to boot up with a 98 Ramdrive floppy so its more or less useless to you.

MSJGary
08-02-2005, 09:51 AM
Having re read your first post I note you have a bootable cd.Is this the same as a bootable floppy which gives you all the same options because if it isn't then its unlikely that you have properly cleansed the hard drive of all the dross thats left over after your other installs etc .Your in a bit of a dilemma without the proper tools for the job.As for sending the board away for a Bios upgrade it simply wouldn't be worth the money,better to dump the thing and get another one from say Trademe.I do have a sort of code that you type in to wipe the contents of a hard drive but then again you need to boot up with a 98 Ramdrive floppy so its more or less useless to you.

The boot CD is the same as a win98SE Boot Floppy, with CDRom Support. It creates a RAM Drive, and also tells the computer that it has booted to A drive, but the contents of the CD show up as CD Rom. It has FDISK and all the other utilities. What is this code you have? It might work

cjongreen
08-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Quite honestly I just typed the code out and tried to post it then it raved on about relogging on again then all was lost.I cannot be bothered typing it out again.If you've Fdisked and Formatted the drive their should be no problem..Get a new board.

MSJGary
08-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Kind of figuring a new board is in my future.

cjongreen
08-02-2005, 11:19 AM
This came from here so it can return.Boot up with a 98 Bootdisk with Ramdrive.All the following is case sensitive and the gaps and capitals must be used when stipulated.E means you push Enter and the ( ) indicate what shoud be typed you do not type the parenthesis in.At the A:\.(debug)E (a 100)E(int 13)EE(rax)E(0301)E(rbx)E(200)E(rcx)E(1)E(rdx)E(80) E(f200 L200 0)E(P)E(Q)E.Thats it drive wiped now Fdisk and Format the thing.

cjongreen
08-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Stoopid setup the (f200 L200 0)E looks like that.