PDA

View Full Version : Backup solutions

moldboy
07-02-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm looking for a backup solution to backup my 80 gb drive. I'd rather not use encription or any fancy file management systems, just an elternal HDD (USB) that I can boot from (BIOS supported) should anything go wrong.

So I need a relitavly cheap HDD that comes with, or a free/cheap software package that will make my external drive bootablt just like the built in drive.
Any suggestions?

johnd
07-02-2005, 08:23 PM
Booting from a USB device is something supported by relatively recent BIOSs - you don't need any extra software to do this.

To take an image of your drive you can use the dd command in Linux (from a Knoppix CDROM). You could try PartImage (disk imaging software also on the Knoppix CD but I don't think that NTFS support is all that good yet).

moldboy
08-02-2005, 02:02 AM
My question is do I have to change the MBR of the removable drive for it to be bootable. If I do what software can I use?

johnd
08-02-2005, 08:05 AM
If you use a disk imaging tool like Nortons Ghost, you can image the entire drive including the MBR.

You don't say which OS you are using. If 2k or XP, go into recovery console and do a fixmbr (should work).

moldboy
08-02-2005, 03:33 PM
If you use a disk imaging tool like Nortons Ghost, you can image the entire drive including the MBR.

You don't say which OS you are using. If 2k or XP, go into recovery console and do a fixmbr (should work).
XP home