PDA

View Full Version : Email Attachment problems Post SP2

Apteryx
07-02-2005, 09:30 AM
Hi all,
I finally installed WXP SP2 from the PCW disc over Christmas.
2 Problems -
1) tho the disc said average instal 2 hours mine only took 40 mins. I dont have a super fast puta so did I miss out on something?
2) Since then I cannot open attachments from my genealogy boards or other sites eg my online course data.
This is getting urgent as i must respond to these soon.
I have searched and read all the help data but cannot find anywhere to alter settings. I have added the message boards to XP security centre's exceptions list - nil effect. I have turned off all settings eg firewall or antivirus still no change.
Heeeeelp please!

CYaBro
07-02-2005, 09:39 AM
Have you unchecked the Option in Outlook Express for 'Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus' ?
In OE go to Tools - Options - Security tab and uncheck that option.

Metla
07-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Open outlook express

Tools>options>security>Untick 'do not allow attachments to be opened or saved'

Job done.

Apteryx
07-02-2005, 10:10 AM
Yep. I have checked all Outlook Express, IE6 and Zone Alarm Security Suite Settings to ensure they allow attachments, as they used to.
The only difference I can find is the XP SP2 Security Centre, but I cant find how to change settings in that. Is it possible?

When I open the email the attachment line is missing and I get a message overtop "OE has encountered a problem and needs to close.."

FoxyMX
07-02-2005, 12:01 PM
Do your emails show the paper clip icon alongside the subject line? If so, click on the message (without opening it), go to File>Save Attachments and save to the desired location. You should then be able to open them.

A tip: Remember to scan ALL attachments with an up-to-date anti-virus program before opening them.

johnboy
07-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Here are a few more things to try.
http://www.winxptutor.com/oesecure.htm
OLEXP: Using Virus Protection Features in Outlook Express 6
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291387&lang=%22es-es%22
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2email.mspx
hth

Metla
07-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Yep. I have checked all Outlook Express, IE6 and Zone Alarm Security Suite Settings to ensure they allow attachments, as they used to.
The only difference I can find is the XP SP2 Security Centre, but I cant find how to change settings in that. Is it possible?

When I open the email the attachment line is missing and I get a message overtop "OE has encountered a problem and needs to close.."

Reinstall SP2.

Apteryx
09-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Do your emails show the paper clip icon alongside the subject line? If so, click on the message (without opening it), go to File>Save Attachments and save to the desired location. You should then be able to open them.

A tip: Remember to scan ALL attachments with an up-to-date anti-virus program before opening them.
Ive tried your suggestion but "Save Attachments" is greyed out. Why might that be? Yes i have highlighted it, w/out opening it.
Thanks
Ap

Streamload
26-02-2005, 07:32 AM
[Edit:] Your post has been removed. Didn't you read the part about posting purely for commercial gain in the rules you agreed to? This is considered spamming, and your post was not even relevent to this thread topic you dragged up. You have been banned.

Jen - Moderator