PDA

View Full Version : MS Flight Simulator & Graphics Card

JJJJJ
07-02-2005, 05:14 AM
I have an NVIDIA ge force FX 5200 graphics card with 128 megs. on my computer. I realise this is not a particularly good card, but up until now it has served my needs.
I am now playing MS Flight Sim and am not satisfied with the graphics.
Would someone who uses this program tell me if scenery improves with a better card? If it does what card do you advise me to get.
Thanks,
Jack

Chilling_Silence
07-02-2005, 08:36 AM
When you turn on Anti-Aliasing, Antistropic Filtering, and up the resolution to 1280x1024 - Everything looks better!

Im an nVidia man personally, and there's a lot you can pick up for cheap these days off trademe :)

JJJJJ
07-02-2005, 08:50 AM
[QUOTE=Chilling_Silence]When you turn on Anti-Aliasing, Antistropic Filtering, and up the resolution to 1280x1024 - Everything looks better!

QUOTE]
already running at 1280x1024. Don't have anywhere to turn on Anti-Aliasing or antistropic filtering. They are "Application Controlled"
???
Jack

Biggles
07-02-2005, 09:57 AM
Jack are you using FS2004? You turn on anti-aliasing from the Hardware tab in display settings.

It will kill your frmae rate - at least it does with Ti 4400 128MB. I too need an upgrade.

cjongreen
07-02-2005, 10:33 AM
Hello Gerry,I would have thought that with a low end card like you have you'd want to turn Anti Aliasing,Anisotrophy and Vertical Sync off...all these can be done by the use of RivaTuner...Freeware app for overclocking your cards drivers and adjusting various other things as mentioned...Go to Guru3d.com and you will find it amongst all the other useful downloads.Remember with drivers newer does not always mean better eg I still use 4109's and 2942's for bf42...happy flying.

Metla
07-02-2005, 10:34 AM
Anti-Ailising gets rid of pixelated edges (jaggies) Antistropic Filtering forces the textures to keep definition and clearity at a distance.

Both will improve the image,but won't make ugly into beautiful,and both ask for a card with a fair bit of grunt.

If your running at a good resoultion (as you have said) and have the detail on high then you will be near as close to as good as that game can get without the likes of texture packs and whatnot.

As to the settings for AA and the rest, if they are greyed out then see if there is an option to "display advanced settings",this should enable all the available driver settings.

If not then do a google for Coolbits.

You also have access to various quality adjustments in the Video driver settings.