PDA

View Full Version : DNS in reverse?

TideMan
06-02-2005, 09:12 PM
I've had a lot of hits on my webpage recently.
My web host keeps really good stats about hits, but they are in terms of the IP addresses (like 201.120.23.1). I'd like to know where all these hits are coming from.
Now, I know a DNS gets you the IP address from the URL (like www.thissite.co.nz), but is there a way to find out what the URL is from the IP address?
In other words, is there a process that can convert from say 201.120.23.1 to the URL?

gibler
06-02-2005, 09:18 PM
most web browsers set a referer variable in the HTTP request that tells you want link they came from.
Most web log analysers will be able to read this info (assuming that your web server is recording it of course).

People can spoof these of course, or turn them off.

Maybe that's not entirely what you are after but that's about all you can do. Web stats are tricky beasts.

Mercury
06-02-2005, 09:20 PM
Google search: Reverse DNS lookup

http://www.dnsstuff.com/

http://remote.12dt.com/rns/

... and others

ninja
06-02-2005, 09:46 PM
In other words, is there a process that can convert from say 201.120.23.1 to the URL?No. There's no guarantee that the forward and reverse DNS's of an IP will match.

I.E. An ISP will run a server that performs multiple services. So it might respond to pop3.isp.co.nz smtp.isp.co.nz ftp.isp.co.nz ns1.isp.co.nz and a friendlyname like bob.isp.co.nz etc - they will all resolve to an IP xx.xx.xx.xx - a reverse lookup on the IP might only reveal bob.isp.co.nz

It will only assist in determining the network the machine originated from, and even then that may not be entirely accurate.

Use a *nix box and perform:
dig -x 123.121.123.123 (use a valid IP obviously

Or from a 'doze box command prompt:
nslookup -q=ptr 123.123.123.123

Most stats packages have an option to automatically do reverse lookups on IP's anyway.

vinref
06-02-2005, 10:01 PM
I've had a lot of hits on my webpage recently.
My web host keeps really good stats about hits, but they are in terms of the IP addresses (like 201.120.23.1). I'd like to know where all these hits are coming from.
Now, I know a DNS gets you the IP address from the URL (like www.thissite.co.nz), but is there a way to find out what the URL is from the IP address?
In other words, is there a process that can convert from say 201.120.23.1 to the URL?

Visitors to your site almost certainly would not have urls because they would be ISP access subscribers like you and me. At most, you will only find out what ISP they are with. Otherwise the fastest tools are what ninja recommended: dig for *nix and nslookup for Windows.