PDA

View Full Version : How get SATA work

hamstar
06-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Hey guys,

Got me a SATA drive. A 40gb one.

I have a ASUS A7V600 mobo off which I am already running 2x40gb, 1x120gb, and a cdrw... all patas.

So now I want to chuck in the sata drive on one of my two SATA ports.

My motherboard has no drivers for sata, however it does for raid.

I put my sata drive in, it has a normal molex connector on it so i didnt have to spend $10 to get an adaptor.

The drive does not show up in windows, probly cos it's not partitioned but it should show up on the logical disk manager as an unpartitioned disk.

It doesn't show up in BIOS however it does in the RAID menu. However I can't do anything cos it like needs two...

I can't find anything in the BIOS to enable SATA, so now I'm gonna get some drivers.

However:
a) I can't seem to find drivers on the net for my sata. (haven't looked hard yet)
b) Do I just install the drivers in windows or do I need to put in my win2k disk and press f6?

Also at some point, I would like to ghost everything off my C drive now (7gb partition on 40gb PATA) and onto the sata to boot from that.

Can I do that or do I need to reinstall?

Cheers

Hamstar

Speedy Gonzales
06-02-2005, 12:17 PM
1. The drivers if u made this system up, will be on the cd the mobo came with. If the BIOS has an option to turn off RAID then turn it off/disable it.

Is there an option in the BIOS for 3rd master/4th master primary device?

This should be the SATA. If the BIOS has this put it on AUTO.

2. Did u install the IDE inf drivers after u installed 2k/SP4? These should be on the CD.

3. It's better, if u connect the SATA, reinstall 2k with SP4, make a floppy with the SATA drivers on it, before u do this, with the CD that came with the motherboard. (if needed)

4. Did you check the ASUS site for drivers? If u havent got the CD?

The drivers/software are here

http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7V600

Also update the BIOS, if u havent got the latest BIOS update. It might fix something.

If you have 3 IDE devices, whats on the same IDE connection as the burner?

JJJJJ
06-02-2005, 12:59 PM
As a last resort dis-connect your other drives and install the Sata. See if your bios can find it.
Jack

hamstar
06-02-2005, 03:41 PM
my cdrw is with a 40gb

my bios doesn't even seem to know what raid/sata is...

how dangerous is flashing these days?

Speedy Gonzales
06-02-2005, 04:08 PM
Flashing isnt dangerous at all. Unless your system likes rebooting by itself often.

Just make a system floppy get the latest bios, unzip it chuck it and afudos (if this is what your mobo / system uses), on the floppy. Then boot from floppy afudos /inameofbios thats it. Wait for it to flash / tells u when its finished.

Reboot it. Set the defaults. Then reconfigure your BIOS. Save BIOS settings

I wouldnt put a hdd on the same ide as a cdrw. You may, or will have probs later. I would say if u cant find a SATA entry in BIOS, drivers wont help you, as the BIOS would have to know its there, to boot / recognise it. And so, windows knows it's actually installled.

Look in the BIOS for 3rd or 4th primary master. See if thats there somewhere.

hamstar
06-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Why can't I have a cdrw on the same channel as a hdd? Thats all the IDE's I have left.

Its a removable hdd anyway... I have it turned off most the time...

Speedy Gonzales
06-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Coz in other posts if u havent noticed hdds and burners go at different speeds and if u make coasters because theyre on the same IDE channel, thats why.

Growly
06-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Speedy is referring to the speed decrease of the IDE channel should you use two devices at the same time, given that one is much much slower (the CDRW) than the other (the HDD).

As for your SATA, the RAID drivers are the SATA drivers - www.viaarena.com has the 2.20D drivers (If i remember correctly from my A7V600) - DON'T USE ANY EARLIER VERSION (They corrupted my system many times).

My controller recognised the drive and allowed me to use it straight away - but that depends on you having the drivers installed.

hamstar
07-02-2005, 04:46 PM
sweet, cheers for the help. Downloading the 2.2D version now...

Would ghosting onto the sata work then? or would I need to reinstall windows?

Growly
07-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Ghosting would work provided that Ghost has the drivers for the controller ( i think you can change it when you make the disk?)

hamstar
07-02-2005, 05:57 PM
you mean like, norton ghost actually knows what sata is?

Big John
07-02-2005, 06:24 PM
you mean like, norton ghost actually knows what sata is?

Yes, I could not get my RAID0 SATA setup to be recognised and was told to set it up on a IDE drive, Ghost it and then copy it back onto the RAID0 SATA setup.
Unfortunatley I did not have a spare IDE drive so the guy I brought the SATA drives from did it for me and worked like a charm.

The drive itself is nothing. It is the drivers that make it work and for me the issue was the RAID0 not the SATA part.