PDA

View Full Version : Weird behaviour at login window

hamstar
04-02-2005, 09:30 AM
Hey guys,

I tried to put in my new sata hard drive yesterday. I rebooted and fidled with the bios over and over but I couldn't get it to work.

So anyway, I decided to leave it for a later date, unplugged it, rebooted, and when it got to the login screen (windows 2000) it acts like its busy.

I just can't access the login screen. The mouse cursor shows the hourglass forever and ever, I can't type anything, I can't click anything.

It hasn't crashed becos the numlock key still goes on and off.

I shorted the cmos, and it still doesn't work. So to get to my files I have to knopp-it....

Anyone know whats causing this and what the remedy is?

Cheers
hamstar

Speedy Gonzales
04-02-2005, 09:52 AM
Was SP3-4 slipstreamed on the 2000 cd when u installed 2000? Are any SP's installed right now for 2k??

And is this SATA onboard or a PCI card? I take it, its onboard since u tried to configure it in the BIOS?

And whats the mobo u have this SATA on??

Did you put this SATA in before or after, you installed 2k?? Or is 2k installed on this SATA?? With a clean install?

hamstar
04-02-2005, 09:47 PM
It's win2k with sp4 slipstreamed onto the install (did it myself :D) so yes, sp4 is installed.

sata onboard yes. Two plugs. I had it plugged into sata1

the mobo is wats in my sig, a7v600.

i put the drive on pritty much a fresh install... couple weeks old I suppose... its on a standard pata tho... the sata drive i just bought, and was trying out. Never used sata before tho.

hamstar
05-02-2005, 09:59 AM
BUMP...

:help: help :help:

cjongreen
05-02-2005, 10:18 AM
not a lot of mention of you loading any drivers for the Sata drive..presume you did this did you.As for the problem now I don't really know..check the Cmos and make sure Sata is now disabled and any other unnesscessary options aren't enabled.

hamstar
05-02-2005, 10:49 PM
well,i never loaded any sata drivers.

I have shorted the cmos twice...

Please help... and quick... i miss my baby...

hamstar
05-02-2005, 10:58 PM
pffft never mind stoopid thing.... making me look like a dick and stuff...

Speedy Gonzales
06-02-2005, 07:34 AM
I would if u still want it to work, make sure SATA is the bootdisk, or make sure the SATA isnt in RAID in the BIOS (if it has a RAID option - And if you're not using RAID or other).

Other than that, if it needs drivers, find a working PC. Get the cd that mobo came with and extract the drivers to a floppy, in case it needs the drivers.

Then reinstall 2000. Chuck the 2k cd in then press F6, see if it wants to load the SATA drivers, then it MIGHT work. Are there any other hard drives in the system, besides the one SATA?? An IDE hard drive?? I take it u have 2 plugs coming from the SATA (the data which goes to the mobo), and the power, which goes to a spare molex connection / adaptor. Are you dual booting Linux and 2k off this SATA??

hamstar
06-02-2005, 10:40 AM
the other hard drives are 2x40gb pata and 1x120gb pata.

not booting anything from it. There is nothing on the drive at all...

doesn't matter cos windows is working now...