PDA

View Full Version : TCP/IP modem problem (continuing winsock problem)

Hersh
03-02-2005, 09:26 PM
My ongoing and seemingly unfixable socket conflict between a recently installed network card and modem have led to my latest predicament.
following some instructions i found at microsoft.com somewhere i removed all instances of tcp/ip in the network config, then re-"added" them. Now when i try and connect to the net it gets to verifying username and p/w and says check configuration. I checked that I re-added tcp/ip for the modem.
What should the config be, my isp is ihug, and short of ringing the help desk I thought id check here first.

Also if anyone has any ideas on how to resovle an apparent winsock issue with the new network card stopping the modem from working, that would be appreciated.

Ohh yeah Win98SE

gibler
04-02-2005, 02:46 AM
Its not any of the errors listed here then?

dun errors (http://www.winbookcorp.com/_technote/wbta12000026.htm)

FoxyMX
04-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Do you have all of the updates for your Windows 98SE? There are some important DUN updates that should be installed.

pheonix
04-02-2005, 10:05 AM
It may fix your problem, but at the least it will apply all the hotfixes, winsock included.

http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

cjongreen
05-02-2005, 10:01 AM
1. Make sure you have your OS CD or the correct .CAB files available for the particular version of 98/98se/ME.

2. Remove ALL instances of TCP/IP from Network Properties. DO NOT reboot when prompted to do so.

3. Delete the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Winsock

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\WinSock2

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VXD\AFVXD

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VxD\DHCP

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VxD\DHCPOptions

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VxD\MSTCP

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VxD\Winsock

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VxD\Winsock2

4. Reboot.
5. Reinstall TCP/IP.
6. Reboot