PDA

View Full Version : wireless and zonealarm

chris_nz
03-02-2005, 03:39 PM
I have connected a laptop to a desktop via wireless network cards. The desktop (win 2000) is attached to my adsl modem and I want to the laptop (XP) to share the broadband connection with the laptop. I have configured zonealarm so that the wireless connection is 'trusted'.

The 2 computers have no problem seeing each other via the network with the firewall up. However the desktop can access internet, but the laptop cannot
access the internet with the firewall up. Disable the firewall and everything is ok.

Can someone help?

Cheers

Chris

Speedy Gonzales
03-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Would ZA have to have ICS enabled? Which u wont have if ur using the free version?

Metla
03-02-2005, 03:48 PM
disignate the comp as a trusted zone, Its all their in the tutorial the first time you ran the program.

Metla
03-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Come to think of it , Zonealarm free edition maynot support what your trying to accomplish.

Barnabas
03-02-2005, 04:28 PM
The free version of Zone Alarm does not support internet connection sharing hence the problem. Buy the Professional version or use something like Sygate Personal Firewall.
B.

Graham L
03-02-2005, 05:20 PM
The free version of Zone Alarm does not support internet connection sharing hence the problem. Buy the Professional version or use something like Sygate Personal Firewall.
B.

You mean it's actually working as intended? :horrified You'll destroy my faith in the software industry if things like this happen with any frequency. ;)

chris_nz
04-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks everyone ... the Sygate does the job perfectly. I've been through a few firewalls (ZoneAlarm, Trend, Kerio et al) and all blocked my wireless laptop from my main desktop.

In Sygate, I went to Advanced Rules and then enabled traffic through the wireless adapter. Bingo. The othee firewalls seemed to have a similar system (eg trusted zone etc) but still they blocked.

Anyway, maybe a firewall is not needed now? Since I went broadband, my router (a cheapie D Link 302G) seems pretty good as a hardware firewall. All my anti spy software reckons my system is clean .... after 2 months of surfing willy nilly. And the Shields Up! site reckons my ports are closed (but not stealthed. Should I worry?)

Thanks again,

Chris

Barnabas
04-02-2005, 01:55 PM
You mean it's actually working as intended? :horrified You'll destroy my faith in the software industry if things like this happen with any frequency. ;)

Yeah, it is a bit strange that it works like it supposed to but then I dont think that Microsoft has any stake in Zonelabs yet so its not too big a surprise.

Chris, Im glad Sygate works for you. Ive got a Netgear router that my machines are behind which seems to do the trick. I only open a few ports for my mail server, web server and rdp so I can connect remotely. I dont use sygate anymore apart from turning it on every month or so just to check and see if anything strange comes up. Ive had this setup running for about 8 months and havent had a single virus / successful portscan / any other nasty make it through yet so it works for me. Just make sure you have the latest firmware for your router.

Sweet.

B.