PDA

View Full Version : I can't remove a desktop icon.....

lazydog
03-02-2005, 12:57 PM
Hi all, i went to download a demo game called "Empires,Dawn of the modern world" off an old PC World disc that i have laying around but half way thru the downloading i stopped it. Now i have an icon on my desktop that i can't remove. The icon is called "EDMW_SP_US-1". I've tried right click/delete but it wont delete it because it says that it's been used by another program and to shut down the program and then try deleting it. I had no programs running at the time. I opened up windows Task Manager and checked if any applications were running but there weren't. I rebooted my computer and tried to delete the icon but got the same reply, "Cannot delete EDMW_SP_US-1 as its being used by another program. Shut down the program running......". Tried going into msconfig /startup and unticking some of the programs that maybe associated with it(?) but still no luck. Does anyone have any idea how to remove this icon. My OS is XP home.
Thanks in advance.

Speedy Gonzales
03-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Try deleting it in safe mode.

lazydog
03-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Will try that now. Thanks for reply.

lazydog
03-02-2005, 02:17 PM
I cant seem to get my computer to start up in safe mode. I tried what it says in Help and Support but it keeps starting in normal mode :rolleyes: . My computer is a Hewlitt Packard with xp home installed.

Speedy Gonzales
03-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Reboot and hold F8 down. Wait for a menu to come up and select safe mode.

gibler
03-02-2005, 02:35 PM
What did you download it with ? Internet Explorer?

lazydog
03-02-2005, 02:47 PM
I use Mozilla Firebird as my internet browser. I cleaned out the download manager incase that was stopping me from deleting the icon but i still cant delete it.

lazydog
03-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Itried to delete the icon in safe mode but it still says "Cannot delete EDMW_SP_US-1 as its being used by another person or program".
:help:me before i get :angry and :badpc: something

Metla
03-02-2005, 03:10 PM
Easy way out is to use a program called delete-on-boot.

It does as it says and removes the selected files on boot before Windows gets its clutches into it.

lazydog
03-02-2005, 03:31 PM
I found the program you mentioned above. It's called "Move on boot 1.95" and is a free download. It looks to be a very good program, rated 5 out of 5 on the downloads website. I will load it up and try it next time i boot up. Fingers crossed it works aye. :thumbs:

lazydog
03-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Brilliant!. That program worked a treat. Thanks Metla for reckomending it to me. :thumbs:
I somehow get the feeling that if i turned off system restore i might off been able to remove it or maybe use system restore itself but no need to worry about it now cause its gone.
Thanks again Metla and eveyone else that replied. Cheers, lazydog.