PDA

View Full Version : PC Components.. r they good enuf

jus.need.help
02-02-2005, 12:48 AM
hey
i am gettin a new comp.. my main use is games..
like Half Life 2.. Far Cry.. games that require a decent amount of hardware

this is wat im gettin
wud u guys be able to tell me wud this run most games on high & 1024x768

P4 3.2G-E (800Mhz FSB) Prescott
2 X GeiL High Performance 512MB (1024MB total)
256MB GeForce FX 5700LE
80GB HDD 7200rpm

thanx

Metla
02-02-2005, 12:54 AM
Hard to tell, The Video is weak but will be pushed along by the strong cpu and large amount of ram....I reckon it will choke badly trying to run games at their highest settings.

If you used an AMD system you would not only get better cpu performance for games but it would free up some cash for a better video card.

jus.need.help
02-02-2005, 12:57 AM
i had a 3200+ 512MB RAM same g/card.. ran like ****.. hated it & now im moving onto petium will never go back to AMD again.. have had a 2400+ as well.. also ran like ****..

Metla
02-02-2005, 01:01 AM
So you update the cpu to one that is no faster and keep the old video card that hampered performance?

Nice.

~sy~
02-02-2005, 08:28 AM
Should be ok. but you could do with a better video card. I don't know where Metla gets his conclusion about AMD being cheaper from. Maybe he makes more money outta them...

dipstick01
02-02-2005, 09:43 AM
What Motherboard is all this going on to??

Perhaps look at the LGA775 processor? When looking at my upgrade I was informed from several different people that the LGA775 CPU's ran faster than the standard Prescotts. The price is about the same.

I would suggest upgrading the Graphics card as that will be one of the most important pieces for running games especially Far Cry etc.

Listen to Metla when he talks about Graphics cards as he seems to be the Expert in here on them. Radeon or Geforce as well as the AMD and Pentium arguement is best decided by yourself as they are just like the Ford/Holden debate and it comes down to what you want and prefer.

I have gone from Geforce over to Radeon myself this upgrade but it is still too early to decide personally and hell after running an MX440 with 64mb Ram anything looks damn great lol.