PDA

View Full Version : Consistent failures when trying to burn

Misty
01-02-2005, 07:23 PM
For many month now I have been having trouble burning CD’s. The latest thing that I have done (with excellent & expert help) is to reformat my hard drive.

I use Windows ME and my latest attempts to burn CD’s have been with Nero Express and Nero Enterprise Edition 5.5.

I have changed everything somewhere along the line (except my PC – but as I said that has been reformatted).
1) The program I use for recording music has been changed from “Replay Radio” to “Polderbits” (and anyway I still get the problems with date – ie backups).
2) I changed my CD Burner going from Acer 8x4x8 to Samsung 52 x32 x52.
3) I changed my burning program from Roxio Easy CD Creator 4 to Nero (specifics mentioned above)

Here are the logs of the recent problems I have had – ie where things go wrong with the burner

a) TSST Corp CD-R/RW TS-H292A
Buffer underrun protection activated
Simulation started at 48X (7,200 KB’s)
Simulation completed successfully at 48X (7,200 Kb’s)
Burn process started at 48X (7,200 KB’s)
Invalid Block Address [ 2 seconds later ]
Burn process failed at 48x (7,200 KB’s)

b) Nero has caused an error in MSVCRT.DLL Nero will now close

c) 1:02:52 TSST corp CD-R/RW TS-H292A
Buffer underrun activated
1:02:53 Caching of files started
1:02:53 Caching of files completed
Burn process started at 48X (6,000 KB’s)
1:03:42 SCSI Target error
1:03:43 Invalid write state
1:03:43 Could not perform EndTrack
1:03:56 Burn process failed at 40X (6,000 KB’s)

d) Today tried again – this time on Nero Express – went to about 60% successfully and screen went black and would not re-juvinate ! I had to re-boot. :(

My success rate (yes, there have been some!) is about 1 disc in six or seven. There does not seem any particular reason as to why a very few have been successful. I have copied precisely what worked the time before but the second attemp always fails. I have delayed and delayed asking anything on the forum because I have thought that one more try might fix things. Plus I have wanted to give a very clear picture of when things are going wrong.

I have tried burning more slowly – usually using 40X speed.

The fact that I cannot do full and proper backups is a very real concern. I have lost a few things which have caused problems. :dogeye:

Tonight I ran CleanMyPC Registry Cleaner in the hopes that would help fix things – but no change ! :horrified

I would really, really appreciate if someone can shed some light on what might be wrong and what I can do next.

Misty

Peter H
01-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Try at 24X or slower.
Bye

Speedy Gonzales
01-02-2005, 07:47 PM
How many cd burners have u got Misty?? Just the one thats here?? And is it on the secondary ide connection as master or slave??

It isnt on the same ide connection as a hard drive is it??

godfather
01-02-2005, 07:48 PM
SCSI target error is caused by (according to Nero website):

Normally caused by CD-R or CD-RW media the recorder is unable to work with.
Or the media could be defective, dirty or just not compatible with the recorder.

Cables are known to cause this: loose cables, damaged cables, loose power connectors, etc.
To this I would add - IDE problems on the motherboard could also cause this.

Metla
01-02-2005, 07:59 PM
My vote goes to the IDE controller as well.

EX-WESTY
01-02-2005, 08:00 PM
Check your drive connections as Godfather stated.

Ensure if possible that the CD writer is master on the Secondary IDE cable.
Perform a defragment of your hard drives.
Ensure that no screen savers are operating or change the default time for operation to at least 20 minutes.
Sometimes it even pays to shut down or edit your antivirus software so that it is not checking the file on access.
Try slowing your burner down even more, for instance try a burn at 8x.
I for instance will do a CD for audio purposes at 1X
Check and enable DMA on the drive properties.

and if you got a lot of programs running in your task tray kill a few of those off as well and see what happens.

What brand of media are you using currently?
You could also check for an updated firmware for the drive.

Jen
01-02-2005, 08:13 PM
When you formatted the computer, did you load the motherboard drivers again?

Misty
01-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Try at 24X or slower.
Bye
It has been tried at slower speeds Peter, the old writer was 8X4X8. Chill may remember as he was there one time.

How many cd burners have u got Misty?? Just the one thats here??
Only the current one Speedy G.

And is it on the secondary ide connection as master or slave??
That's Greek to me Speedy ! Will the likes of Everest or Belarc Advisor tell me ? It was installed by a real professional though !!

Normally caused by CD-R or CD-RW media the recorder is unable to work with.
I have tried Transonic, TDK, Syrius and the latest Verbatim. Verbatim cost more and have a good reputation I think - but same problems !

Or the media could be defective, dirty or just not compatible with the recorder.
Media being the CD or player ? CD are various and well looked after and the player is basically brand new.

Cables are known to cause this: loose cables, damaged cables, loose power connectors, etc.
Aaah ! Now this is new - could be this. I should start checking ?

godfather, Metla and EX-WESTY - IDE problems seem to be a favourite bet for the problem. I will read EX-Westy's prescription and see if I can follow what it all means and what is involved - if you think that the best next step ? -after taking on board my responses above.
cheers
Misty

robsonde
01-02-2005, 08:37 PM
try diffrent brand of blank Cds

Speedy Gonzales
01-02-2005, 08:39 PM
Media being the blank cd's youre using to burn with Nero. What exactly are you burning Misty? data? Mp3's? DVD? Video?

Youre not formatting cd's before you burn are you? Well with Nero.

Ah ok it should be OK if a pro installed the burner. (the master / slave thing).

godfather
01-02-2005, 08:46 PM
It's unlikely to be the burner (as you have tried more than 1)
Its unlikely to be the software (as you have reformatted)

What is left that is common?

The IDE port and the cable.

The cable is replaceable, but for the IDE port, start practicing saying "I have to get another PC"

Misty
01-02-2005, 08:50 PM
try diffrent brand of blank Cds
As I said robsonde - I have used Transonic, Sirius, TDK and Verbatim - all with the same results !

What exactly are you burning Misty? data? Mp3's? DVD? Video?

Youre not formatting cd's before you burn are you? Well with Nero.
I am burning mostly audio (WAV) and at other times data.
No, I am not formatting the CD's.
Misty :help:

Misty
01-02-2005, 08:55 PM
It's unlikely to be the burner (as you have tried more than 1)
Its unlikely to be the software (as you have reformatted)

What is left that is common?

The IDE port and the cable.

The cable is replaceable, but for the IDE port, start practicing saying "I have to get another PC"
Well I can try the cable !

Re getting another PC - will you tell Mrs Misty or will I ?
Seriously though when I do get another PC or laptop (which is planned for the fairly near future) I want to network with this old PC so that I can experiment with the old one with possible programs etc. If it is the IDE port will that put paid to that idea ?
Misty :confused:

Speedy Gonzales
01-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Try laser blanks, or mitsubishi chemical cd blanks, if u can find them. I've used these with no probs at all.

robsonde
01-02-2005, 09:06 PM
could it be an issue with windows autoplay? if i remember right it has been the problem for a few.

coule it be an issue with the OS , have you done a full re-install of windows??

viurs protection getting in the way?

BTW the above is just some random thought.....

Misty
01-02-2005, 09:13 PM
When you formatted the computer, did you load the motherboard drivers again?
Well, essentially Chill did the formatting with as much help as I could give him. He checked with Everest and loaded "ProSavage" stuff. Anyway I hope that my reporting is accurate (I got lost in all of the really technical terms and concepts). Anyway as you know Chill would have got all that aspect done right.
Misty :cool:

Chilling_Silence
01-02-2005, 11:42 PM
Im pretty sure we nailed all drivers

Id suggest Media, but we burned fine earlier..... Nero played up previously though too didnt it Misty?

Neil McC
02-02-2005, 08:11 AM
Misty, with my ME pc,I've always had trouble with Nero.And that's with Roxio Easy CD 5 on or off(installed or uninstalled),as "they" recommend.It would work ok for a while then start playing up.
But the new one will have Nero on it.
Sorry,not much help.And I always burn music cd's at 2x.

tweak'e
02-02-2005, 10:30 AM
the other comman thing for causeing werid burn problems is a faulty power supply.

Misty
03-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Misty, with my ME pc,I've always had trouble with Nero.And that's with Roxio Easy CD 5 on or off(installed or uninstalled),as "they" recommend.It would work ok for a while then start playing up.
But the new one will have Nero on it.
Sorry,not much help.And I always burn music cd's at 2x.

Hi Neil
Did you have similar problems when you used Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 please ?
Misty

Neil McC
03-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Misty,I've never had any trouble at all with Roxio 5 on this pc,even with Nero on as well.It's always been Nero that has played up.Which has been a pain 'cause in some ways I prefer Nero.But the new pc(next Monday I hope!) has Nero on it.I know I read on a help site that Nero 5 has trouble running with Easy CD installed as well.But I tried Nero with EZCD uninstalled!!Such is life with ME.I'm really looking forward to XP Pro.

Misty
04-02-2005, 09:43 PM
Misty,I've never had any trouble at all with Roxio 5 on this pc,even with Nero on as well.It's always been Nero that has played up.Which has been a pain 'cause in some ways I prefer Nero.But the new pc(next Monday I hope!) has Nero on it.I know I read on a help site that Nero 5 has trouble running with Easy CD installed as well.But I tried Nero with EZCD uninstalled!!Such is life with ME.I'm really looking forward to XP Pro.

Well Neil - my version of Roxio is Easy CD Creator 4 (which is getting a bit long in the tooth now !). I did have consistent trouble with it before re-formatting, so am loathe to try again after. It would probably mean uninstalling Nero. It seems too long a shot to try at this stage. Think I will try other suggestions first. Any thoughts that conflict with that approach ?
Misty

Speedy Gonzales
04-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Does your burner appear here? I dont think so.

http://www.nero.com/en/recorders.php?manu=Samsung&lang=en

Maybe your burner isnt fully supported by Nero??

Neil McC
05-02-2005, 09:41 AM
Have you tried any other burning(!) programs,like Ashampoo,etc?

Misty
05-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Does your burner appear here? I dont think so.

http://www.nero.com/en/recorders.php?manu=Samsung&lang=en

Maybe your burner isnt fully supported by Nero??

Hi Speedy G
Have had a look and it seems that it is not supported - if the website has been kept up to date !

Another thing which worries me is that Samsung disk that came with the CD writer says it has the "User's Guide for Drive" but when I click on the users guide it opens "The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy, Seventeenth Edition - Centennial Edition", which seems clearly to be some type of medical manual. If that part of the disk is faulty then how much more might be faulty !
Misty :groan:

Graham L
05-02-2005, 03:24 PM
It would take a magnificently "statistically unlikely" fault to transform a CD user Guide to the Merck manual. :)

If the IDE controller was faulty, it would show up with the hard disk --- that's used all the time. So your networking experiments should be OK.

shell49
05-02-2005, 06:14 PM
hi misty,
i run samsung 52-32-52 burner with nero express, only my os is win98 se
have had no problems burning at 40.
not real keen on winme though.

Misty
05-02-2005, 08:30 PM
hi misty,
i run samsung 52-32-52 burner with nero express, only my os is win98 se
have had no problems burning at 40.
not real keen on winme though.

Hi Shell
Are you saying that Nero Express is not keen on Win ME or is it you not keen on Win ME ? You know someone who has tried using Win ME ?
Misty :confused:

Misty
06-02-2005, 12:08 AM
It would take a magnificently "statistically unlikely" fault to transform a CD user Guide to the Merck manual. :)

I detect a healthy dose of scepticism in your comment, Graham. Nevertheless it is correct. I have rung QMB, MT Roskill, where I bought the drive and spoke with "Jackie". He got out one of the same discs and checked it (the same light green colour) and that one is okay.

You use the term "CD user Guide", whereas it is actually called a "User's Guide for Drive".

As I live on the North Shore I will not be able to take the disc over to them until next weekend. Funnily enough I do not now think the problem lies with the disc at all. Otherwise I don't think the drive would have worked at all.
Just a matter of working through each possibility, even the unlikely ones !
Misty

rtbcomp
22-10-2005, 11:33 AM
I have exactly the same problem with this drive and Nero.

I got round it by generating a CD image (ISO file) on the HDD before burning.

I use Adensoft CD Burner from Tucows.

After writing the ISO file I defrag the drive, also I put the ISO file on D: with the Windows swap file on C:. This makes sure the ISO file is contiguous and uninterrupted by the swap file which doesn't seem to defrag.

The tips about stopping other tasks and disabling screen savers are valid, I found doing this makes a difference on my other computer running Gear software on a Ricoh drive.

HTH Roger