PDA

View Full Version : SMS/GPRS Gateway

hamstar
01-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Hi,

I was just wondering wether it would be illegal to start your own sms/gprs gateway...

Surely under NZ's anti-monopoly laws it shouldn't be... is it?

Cheers,

hamstar

ninja
01-02-2005, 07:44 PM
I was just wondering wether it would be illegal to start your own sms/gprs gateway...
Depends what you mean by it. If you mean set up your own nationwide network then there's nothing stopping you except the prohibitive startup costs, resource consents, infrastructure, network, hardware, termination charges on other phone networks, gaining a client base, staffing, amongst some other small things. Should be a piece of cake.

Re-selling services would dependent on your agreement with the network in question. We have an agreement with Vodafone and provide a web2txt API. We use it for our network monitoring to page us if something faults, and also on sell this to customers to get text alerts for web-site enquiries etc.

hamstar
01-02-2005, 08:01 PM
i mean like banging up a linux server running an open source gateway and providing free texts and phoneweb for everyone...

agent
01-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Why would it be illegal?

I do know of a Linux SMS/WAP gateway program, but it is deeply buried amongst the bits of useless data I have been accumulating for several years.

It's the kind of gateway program where you could, say, text the word "weather" to a number and get back a weather report - so you would need to tie up that end of the matter with either Vodafone or Telecom (or both? I know some special numbers only work on a particular network).

ninja
01-02-2005, 08:45 PM
i mean like banging up a linux server running an open source gateway and providing free texts and phoneweb for everyone...You're missing the obvious issues.

The data still has to travel across the existing mobile network. To get to your "free" GPRS server, the data has to transmit across Vodafone's data network, therefore using their bandwidth up.

www.download.com is a free site for downloading applications - they provide the service free of charge, you still have to pay ISP charges for time/bandwidth spent downloading data from them.

As for texts, there are still data transfer costs, and usually termination fees to terminate a message on the network. Which means you'd have to pay for your server to deliver SMS messages to the Vodafone network, sure you could provide it for free but the cost has to be absorbed somewhere.