PDA

View Full Version : Connecting a second HDD just to get some data off it

straka01
31-01-2005, 03:52 PM
I'm setting up a 500mhz PC for a friend - removed my 20gb HDD with win2k installed - this is a bootable drive which worked well and now I've just installed her 7.5gb HD on the PC and loaded her win98se after fdisk/formatting - this now goes well but I've found I need a few of the drivers off the 20gb HDD.
So, I thought I'd attach the 20gb again as a slave and be able to get the data / the drivers. There must be something I'm doing wrong as the PC won't boot up at all with both attached. Sometimes it get's to Verifying DMI Pool Data then puts a a line ALL IN CAPITALS saying DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK & PRESS ENTER - and sometimes it freezes on the initial motorboard screen.
If I take the 20gb HDD away again (disconnect it) the PC still seems to stall on these errors until I reboot a few times - then it boots to win98 again.
Where's my problem lie - anyone able to help?
All I need to do is retrieve the few drivers off the 20gb HDD. Actually, I tried initially to just swap the HDDs - they're both bootable for this same PC - but when I reverted to the 20gb win2k one - it loaded for a while then gave the 'blue screen' treatment - so I abandoned that idea right from the start...

Peter H
31-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Some computers are fussy on which plug the master & slave are on. I know this one is. Needs the Master on the end, and slave on the middle one.
Bye

merlin
31-01-2005, 04:21 PM
As an option, copy the drivers the reverse way around - install the 7.5 on your machine.

However, the main problem is either the way the 7.5 drive was partitioned, if the drive has physical errors on sector 0 or if the installation of Windows was without errors. There is also the possibility there are hardware problems also since the 20G drive had boot errors.

Format the drive doing a cluster check and start from scratch again.
Check, and if necessary, reset BIOS settings.

Quote For The Week
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
- Will Rogers

Graham L
31-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Is it a CS cable? With two drives on, it will probably need both drives to be set to CS rather than MA and SL.

4bes
31-01-2005, 04:25 PM
Hi
Have you double checked that you have set the jumper at the back of the drive to the correct setting for slave?
Another thing you could try is to put it onto you secondary IDE cable with the CD drive.

Graham L
31-01-2005, 04:39 PM
It's got nothing to do with the partitioning of the smaller drive. It's almost certainly a selection problem. Both drives are responding at once, so neither is readable.

Check the BIOS settings ... the 20GB will have to have LBA set. But try the CS setting. I suspect CS will work whatever the drive setting, as long as there's only one drive on the cable. As soon as there are two, the drives have to be set to CS, so they know to look for the missing wire in the cable.

drcspy
31-01-2005, 05:00 PM
most likely a waste of time anyway most win2k drivers wont work wiht 98