PDA

View Full Version : Home network woes

Henry Crun
31-01-2005, 07:26 AM
Hi, I'm trying to set up a network at home. I've got a 3com hub, XP, W2K, W98 and Linux boxes. Links between hub and network cards are OK, but machines rarely can see each other or the network. I've manually configured TCP/IP addresses, swapped patch cables, run setup wizards (!) torn my hair out with little success. The hub (I've not got a manual) has a red partition LED lit; perhaps the hub is the problem (although it came from a working network).

Any helpful advice will be much appreciated!!

Thanks. :confused:

Speedy Gonzales
31-01-2005, 07:54 AM
When u say linux boxes, how many linux boxes??

And how many computers altogether?? including 98 XP 2k etc.

And whats running the main computer?? XP home? Pro? Server 2003?

If u have XP Home, that can only take up to 5 on a network.

XP Pro can take up to 10 on a network.

Server a bit more.

Henry Crun
31-01-2005, 08:24 AM
Hi

1 x XP home
1 x W2k professional
1 x W88

The Linux box is running SuSE 9 professional, but not connected to the hub at the moment. I thought I should get the Windows boxes running before I delved too deep into Linux. I intended the nework to be peer-to-peer, so I've not designated any one machine as a server, not do I have a server OS.

I'm new at this, so quite likely have done something wrong!!

Regards :badpc:

Jen
31-01-2005, 08:31 AM
The hub (I've not got a manual) has a red partition LED litIs this LED flashing or steady? A flashing light indicates a problem has been resolved, while a steady red LED indicates a current problem. You might want to google for your hub manual to confirm you have everything set up corrrectly and to resolve the LED error codes. :)

Speedy Gonzales
31-01-2005, 08:36 AM
OK Henry. Dont bother about the wizard in XP. Its hopeless.

If theres a LAN icon on the 2k/XP pc's go thru there to give them ip addresses.

(Double click on the LAN icons / properties/ Internet Protocol). Select use the following ip address.

Whichever one/s aren't enabled for ICS, type in 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 etc in ip address (under Internet protocol under the LAN icon). And subnet mask 255.255.255.0. And down the bottom (in XP) put 192.168.0.1 (this is for the net). Under 2k's LAN icon, on the taskbar, it maybe the same.

If u want any or all of them to get onto the net, go thru the dialup (if any of them have a dialup icon and enable ICS (internet connection sharing).

Whichever one u assign as an ICS PC will be allocated ip address 192.168.0.1

Also, MAKE SURE all workgroups are the same.

Henry Crun
31-01-2005, 09:13 AM
To Jen: partition LED is red and steady. I've tried to find a manual on the net (I'll try again), but did find a similar one on 3Com's site. Not helpful.

To Speedy Gonzales: the W2k and XPh boxes both have modems. Can successfully access dial-up internet while hub is running and net pc/pc icon lit in system tray. Can upload/download packets to hub while connected to internet. It seems to me that I've got it 99% running, but the last bit of the puzzle is missing.

I've designated the boxes 192.168.0.9x/255.255.255.0. Sometimes (but not aloways) the W2k machine will see the XP and W98 boxes under Network neighbourhood, but even though I've enabled share disk and printers, I can't access the remote boxes.

Very frustrating.....

:dogeye:

Speedy Gonzales
31-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Hmm the LAN icons if flashing may mean the network is OK. NOT necessarily getting on the net. Even if u have pcs with modems, and u want all to get onto the net, u only need one with a modem to get onto the net.

Do you want all of them to get onto the net as well as file sharing??

I've designated the boxes 192.168.0.9x/255.255.255.0. Sometimes (but not aloways) the W2k machine will see the XP and W98 boxes under Network neighbourhood, but even though I've enabled share disk and printers, I can't access the remote boxes.

When u say 192.168.0.9 on the boxes, theyre not all the same ip address tho are they??

98 is a bit trickier to configure than 2k and XP over a network.

Henry Crun
31-01-2005, 09:34 AM
Hi

W2k = 192.168.0.90
XPh = 192.168.0.91
Linux (not connected) = 192.168.0.92
W98 = 192.168.0.94

All have subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
All have workgroup = BNet

I've borrowed book(s) from public library, followed instructions, but with a resounding failure. Either I'm thick (possible) or there's something fundamental wrong - hopefully repairable!!

Regards

Speedy Gonzales
31-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Change all workgroups to xps default MSHOME

For some reason some systems dont like anything else! Even tho u can change the workgroup names.

Is this just for file sharing the network?? Or do you want all 3-4 to get onto the net as well??

If u want all to get access on the net, you'll have to enable ICS on either 2k or XP. 98 doesnt support internet connection sharing (Only 98 SE +). Dont know about linux. Never used it.

Jen
31-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Firewalls. They get you all the time when attempting to network machines as it is easy to forget about them. Have you turned off all Firewalls while getting the network sorted?

The machine on the port with red partition LED, have you tried to remove it from the hub while sorting out the others?

bartsdadhomer
31-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Dump the hub, buy a switch & use DHCP or a mixture of DHCP & static addresses

Henry Crun
31-01-2005, 09:53 AM
To Speedy Gonzales: I've tried setting workgroup name to "Workgroup" (default) with no success.

Jen: I'm using Zone Alarm; I'll uninstall and try again.

Bartsdadhomer: What??? and have $20 go down the drain ;-).

Thanks all for the help!

Speedy Gonzales
31-01-2005, 09:59 AM
XPs is MSHOME. If u want all to get on the net and Zonealarm is installed, and you have the free version, this free version doesnt have the ICS option.

Altho, you may be able to use the network wizard (if it has 1 I dont use it). And ZA is on all the windows PC's, use it on each PC. It should pick up the other PC's.

And allow access. BUT I wouldnt disable it on the net, (if ALL PC's are going on the net), if ZA is the only firewall you have installed.

Jen
31-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Jen: I'm using Zone Alarm; I'll uninstall and try again.Don't uninstall ZA, as this often makes a different mess (True Vector issues ...). Just disable it. Make sure that all the PC's (including XP's native firewall) have their firewalls disabled. Once you have gotten the networking all working, then you will have to allow trusted IPs via the Firewall for each machine connecting to it so they don't get blocked.

Henry Crun
31-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Um....

Did uninstall ZA; didn't help!

Oddly - this morning the W2k box could see the XPh box (but not access anything). When I uninstalled ZA, powered everthing down. Now the XPh box can see the W2k but "doesn't have permission to use the network recources", but not t'other way round. I'm not sure, but maybe the order in which machines come up and hook into the hub has some obsucre effect.

I'll reinstall ZA.

I don't mind buying a switch if it will fix the problem, but I'd be pretty upset if it didn't! The purpose of the network is to share printer(s), some disk storage and files, so a common or garden hub should be more than adequate (if the #$@** thing would work)!!

Speedy Gonzales
31-01-2005, 10:29 AM
With XP you'll either have to enable simple file sharing in XP. or add the other PC's to XP as guests. You may have to do the same with 2k.

Youre not using a crossover on any of these are you?? This isnt required if u have a ethernet hub.

Henry Crun
31-01-2005, 10:39 AM
I've enabled printer/file sharing on XP and W2k machines. Two cables I've made myself, and I've borrowed some from work - swapping doesn't help.

By the way, the XP and W2k boxes can Ping themselves, but not other machines. I conclude that they can talk to the hub, but are somehow isolated from other ports/boxes. That's why I wondered about the AUI Partition LED being red.

Speedy Gonzales
31-01-2005, 10:46 AM
I would get another cable from work, and replace yours with it just to make sure it isnt your cable thats the prob. I wouldnt have a clue about this AUI LED. Never heard of it before.

FoxyMX
31-01-2005, 11:38 AM
I don't mind buying a switch if it will fix the problem, but I'd be pretty upset if it didn't! The purpose of the network is to share printer(s), some disk storage and files, so a common or garden hub should be more than adequate (if the #$@** thing would work)!!
Just a word of encouragement - setting up a network can sometimes be simple and often a pain due to something simple, so keep trying and don't give up. It's bound to be something simple! :thumbs:

Says she who reformatted her computer before networking would work. :p

bartsdadhomer
31-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Might be time to go back & start from scratch
Unless you know the cables you made are "good" (not bringing your skills into question but...) I'd leave them out of the equation & use the ones you got from the office
I'd disconnect the whole lot & setup the XP/98 Machines first & get them working well & consistently
Don't use the XP wizard, configure manually with an IP & subnet of 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0
98 Machine IP & subnet of 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0
Make sure both machines are using the same workgroup name eg. workgroup or MSHOME or whatever, as long as they are the same
Also make sure the 98 machine has all available updates applied as there have ben improvements to 98's networking abilities over the years
Get your shares etc working then post back for step 2.
Also make sure you aren't using the uplink port of your hub for one of the cables (you can use the uplink port but will have to use a crossover cable to enable it to work)
If you can get the XP/98 configuration working well then you can add the others one by one, this makes it much easier to track a fault
Make sure you always reboot each machine after any changes, even if you have only altered one machines configuration reboot both

FoxyMX
31-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Good suggestion by bartsdadhomer to start again - you might find the forum's Networking FAQ (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=49958&highlight=bellhouse) useful as well.

Terry Porritt
31-01-2005, 12:57 PM
Here's another thing I found useful when networking W98 with XP & W2k, so that they will see each other reliably, and that is to use the same usernames and passwords.

Henry Crun
31-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Thanks to all that have helped so far, but to (almost) no avail. I've done all that has been suggested, and other than finding a hardware issue on the W98 machine (fixed), I'm still not networked!! The XP box is aware of the W2k and the W98 boxes - identifies them correctly when I explore the network, but can't open them, nor do the W2k and W98 boxes see the XP box. Seems to me that cables/PC hardware is operating, and I have a software or hub fault. I still have a "AUI Partition" LED red on the front of the hub; I can only guess that because it's red, it indicates a problem. This LED illuminates when PCs boot up - it's not lit by default when the hub powers up.

Frustration levels are extreme!! Won't do any good for my alcohol content!

:badpc:

Graham L
31-01-2005, 03:45 PM
The AUI port is the 15 pin D connector. It's meant for a cable going to a thick Ethernet tranceiver, or an adaptor tranceiver for thin Ethernet or twisted pair. Don't bother about it. It would normally be used for the uplink to a server.

Start with the minimum. Try just two computers. I would make the Linux box one of them. It's got better networking behaviour, built in. It has also got good network diagnostic tools. A hub is an advantage for that, because you can see all the packets on the network. ;) Use ethereal or tcpdump to see what's going on.

Mercury
31-01-2005, 03:48 PM
If you can see the other computers - have you also given them something to share?

Need to go to Windows Explorer, right click a folder and set the sharing to share it - and to be able to see it from another computer.

Also... Win 98 under network you have a choice of Windows Login or Network login. Change it to windows login and see how you go.

bartsdadhomer
31-01-2005, 05:37 PM
I'm still not networked!! The XP box is aware of the W2k and the W98 boxes - identifies them correctly when I explore the network
:badpc:

Untrue statement, XP can see 98/2000 you are most certainly networked & the hardware is working properly
As said by Mercury you will have to enable shares on each machine
Keep plugging away & you'll be there soon
Remember though reboot after every change, it lets all the machines refresh all settings

Mercury
31-01-2005, 07:15 PM
I have an XP, 2 Win98 network. From the 98 computers I can see the XP files, other way I can't (even though there are things to share on all of them). Haven't actually looked for the cause and fixed it because it is an occassional irritant rather than a big problem and I keep forgetting about it.

If you are having problems - bear this in mind and check from both ends.

Also, on the 98 machines - if you have a login box come up make sure you use it and don't cancel out of it (friend had major problems with this. Logging in solved the problem).

TideMan
31-01-2005, 09:19 PM
I'm joining this discussion a bit late, but several months ago we spent a few frustrating days getting our home network going. We have 3 desktops + a notebook, all with Win XP.
We found that what was stuffing us up was the Win XP Network Wizard. After a lot of screwing around,we found that everytime we ran the wizard it turned on the Windows firewall, which blocked the network (without telling anyone). Once we turned all the Windows firewalls off, everyone suddenly could see each other and talk.
Once we got the network working, we had to configure Sygate firewall to allow traffic to the IP addresses of the machines on the network.
We found ping was pretty useful along with the checklist on this page
NetworkTroubleshooting (http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot/specificbroblems.htm)

beama
01-02-2005, 07:10 AM
Also, on the 98 machines - if you have a login box come up make sure you use it and don't cancel out of it (friend had major problems with this. Logging in solved the problem).
You can get round this by using tweakui for 98 and using the auto login feature after of course entering the login details to tweakui.

Also another thing that may effect this setup you have set the the microsoft network client as the primary client in properties of netwoking applet of all machines.

linw
03-02-2005, 12:04 AM
TideMan has pointed you to perhaps the best site for learning about windows networking. Look particularly for the articles on file sharing and permissions. Are you getting any error messages when trying to access another machine?

If you can see the other machines, the IP network is functioning. Just sort the sharing and permissions.

Good luck.
Lindsay.

gibler
03-02-2005, 12:24 AM
You know that Windows network browsing a.k.a. using the Network Nieghbourhood is broken at the best of times.
Look at using an lmhosts file: see

lmhosts (http://www.realcomputerguy.com/lmhosts.htm)

Or a good bet is to make the Linux PC a Samba server and have it be the browse master.

Also get to know the command line tool NET VIEW (and NET USE)

Installing the NETBEUI protocol for Windows XP helps with its browsing issues (just google for it) - it certainly helped me on a huge subnet.

Chilling_Silence
03-02-2005, 08:17 AM
Ive never had to install NetBEUI with WinXP?!

I always just go in to My Computer and type:
\\computername\

This'll bring up the PC and its easy to browse shares from there :)

Have a search for a thread by Poppa John a while back, I walked him through setting up network permissions and it _will_ help you

Cheers

Chill.