PDA

View Full Version : New motherboards for old!

Brain_Cell_Anon
30-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Peepettes and Peeps,
I have an old computer with an AS-6305 Ver:1 motherboard. I think it has a socket 370 (or should that be 370 socket?!?). It has (wait for it) a staggering P II WITH MMX @ a fernom-eal 589 MHz.
Now it does me. I don't push it at all and so it ambles along.
But now I'm thinking.... video editing! Now I know I'm going to need a gruntier machine, but how much can I do to this one before it becomes a case of "Well son, get a new one!"??? Could I get just a new motherboard and 'transplant' everything over?
Me thinks this could be a vipers nest if started, but a few pointers wouldn't go a miss please! :D

Many regards,

The Cell

Prescott
30-01-2005, 12:34 PM
i doubt it, its probably a AT motherboard, these days they make ATX. if its a branded pc then all the mobo screws and holes are completely different or they dont even stick to the AT/ATX spec's

if you really want to keep that system, you could get a faster cpu and more ram, but for video editing, you will need a faster system

PaulD
30-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Just ask for recommendations for a new system with emphasis on video editing. Your old system is just an obsolete red herring ( unless you particularly like your keyboard :-))

Speedy Gonzales
30-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Well you could replace it, if you can find a socket 370 mobo now.

I would get a more modern mobo. AMD, or P4 to deal with video editing.
Since, most modern mobos also handle more ram.

Even tho, (if you did decide to update the 1 you had), you need a lot of hdd space, to deal with video editing, (and more ram), depending on how u intend to do it (thru a VCR or digital video cam - in which case you'll need firewire or USB 2). About 2 hrs of this takes 4-5 GB!

tweak'e
30-01-2005, 12:52 PM
well p2's don't use socket 370. i suspect you've proberly got a celeron.

in any case it won't matter as the only way your going to do any decent video editing at a resonable speed is to buy a new pc.

JJJJJ
30-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Forget it. You would be hard pressed to even get VE software to run.You will not be able to do any editing.
Are you talking about just replacing the M/B. What about the CPU? Just replacing the M/B will do nothing.
Anyway I doubt if an ATX m/b will fit in your box.
You're up for a new computer.
Jack

~sy~
30-01-2005, 02:04 PM
No point wasting precious time and money on upgrading. You might as well get a new computer -Jack is having troubles selling his computer. Perhaps you could help him, Cell?

JJJJJ
30-01-2005, 03:22 PM
No point wasting precious time and money on upgrading. You might as well get a new computer -Jack is having troubles selling his computer. Perhaps you could help him, Cell?
I think the whole world knows that. The customers of "Trade Me" think I'm giving it away. Silly them!
Jack