PDA

View Full Version : Ron24

Ron24
29-01-2005, 11:18 AM
Using XP pro,Sp2.
Checked my security setting with Norton system works and got this result.

Http Port 80 should only be open if you are running a web server.

Http over TLS/SSL, should only be open if running a web server..

Having no idea what this means except that I am open to a hacker, how do I fix it?

Have Mail Washer, Norton A/V, Zone alarm, Ihug A/V.

What else can I do?

bartsdadhomer
29-01-2005, 12:03 PM
I'm no expert in this area but as far as I know
Port 80 is needed to view the web
As far as I know Nortons will monitor it but you can't close it

Murray P
29-01-2005, 12:40 PM
BDH is right, your web browser and anything that uses http connects via port 80. You could block it with nortons if you like but you would no longer be able to surf the web.

Apparently TLS, a secure protocol, ona TCP/IP connection usually runs on a different port to 80 but can do so.

Ron24
29-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Thanks guys, will leave it alone and hope for the best..Regards Ron.

vinref
29-01-2005, 04:44 PM
Using XP pro,Sp2.
Checked my security setting with Norton system works and got this result.

Http Port 80 should only be open if you are running a web server.

Http over TLS/SSL, should only be open if running a web server..

Having no idea what this means except that I am open to a hacker, how do I fix it?

Have Mail Washer, Norton A/V, Zone alarm, Ihug A/V.

What else can I do?

Mr Norton is right. Port 80 is used by a webserver to listen to inbound connections. Lots of nasties, mostly trojans (http://www.neohapsis.com/neolabs/neo-ports/neo-ports.html) scan this port to see if it is open. Closing it should not affect your browsing at all - do "netstat -an" in command line on XP or any *nix and you should see that it is not used for outbound connections from you, but used for inbound connections by whatever site you are looking at.

Ditto for the other open server ports.

agent
29-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Everyone so far has overlooked something - a normal user shouldn't have ports 80 and 443 open at all.

These ports are used to serve a web page to incoming connections, so it looks like Ron is running a web server.

The thing is, Ron said he doesn't know what one is. If those ports are really open and you don't know why, do not leave it alone and hope for the best.