PDA

View Full Version : Help, laptop won't turn off!!!

daydreambeelievr
29-01-2005, 05:26 AM
Hi,

I was just browsing the net {at a site I've been to many times} and my computer froze, so I tried

control-alt-delete
holding/pressing the power button
the blue 'access IBM' button
waiting

It won't respond to any of that!!

We just had to recover it this week... if something else happens my dad is going to kill me. Please help! I have no idea what else I can do unless I let the battery run all the way down or something??? I'm practically panicking.

Erin :(

4bes
29-01-2005, 05:43 AM
Hi and welcome to PF1

How long did you hold the power button for? you may have to hold it for 5 seconds to get it to power down.

mark c
29-01-2005, 07:42 AM
Bit extreme of your dad to kill you for responsible surfing.

Does he do that often?

Can you take the battery out?

Thomas01
29-01-2005, 08:52 AM
If holding down the power button for a while doesn't work then removing the battery certainly will.

MMM
29-01-2005, 10:27 AM
I removed my battery and keep it in a container for the same reason.
Nothing I pressed would make it shut down. Turning off power at wall wasn't an option.
It has happened twice for no rhyme or reason. Maybe its just finishing off some task not completed, eg one of the programs that automatically check your system etc. I must learn to be more patient :groan:

MichaelStanding
29-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Ive heard of this problem once before. Do not remove the battery as this will cause your gigabytes to leak. What you need to do is, when its frozen type in the serial number you got when you bought dos. Then hit home and end at the same time. This should recover the tracking system back to start up state. Then you can reboot to realign all the gigabytes.

Murray P
29-01-2005, 11:46 AM
What OS, browser & antivirus are you using?

Why did you "have to recover it"?

How do you connect to the net?

macdaddio
20-08-2006, 01:50 PM
i was just searching a web site and then it froze and when i end the program the web site closed and laptop froze, i tryed holding down the off swtich it didnt work, i tryed taking out the battery, but it didnt work. what do i do and why does this happen and how to prevent it.

pine-o-cleen
20-08-2006, 01:58 PM
You took the battery out and it didn't power off???

WOW! Must be gathering power from the air. I wan't me one of those laptops! :D

DeSade
20-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Ive heard of this problem once before. Do not remove the battery as this will cause your gigabytes to leak. What you need to do is, when its frozen type in the serial number you got when you bought dos. Then hit home and end at the same time. This should recover the tracking system back to start up state. Then you can reboot to realign all the gigabytes.
W*T*F*!!!!!

kjaada
20-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Why is turning off the power not an option ???
My partners ltop (a Dell) often has yr prob but we just turn off the power and pull the battery briefly and all returns to normal on the boot up.