PDA

View Full Version : Display Driver keeps uninstalling itself!

Lockstock
28-01-2005, 12:35 PM
Hi, I recently installed the USB driver for my Jetstream D Link modem as per the set up disc that came from Xtra. Now when I start my laptop up, the screen reverts to VGA mode (I think its called) with the error message that my "ATI Display Driver is either uninstalled or not installed correctly". I have to keep going into my Device Manager and reinstalling the Display Driver only to find it has uninstalled itself next time I reboot. It has only done this since the installation of the D Link Modem USB driver.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Lockstock

Speedy Gonzales
28-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Dont ATI have exe files, you install?? Instead of going to control panel/device manager to install it??

I think you're doing it the wrong way if this is the case.

If its an exe file , double click on it run it and see if installs the display drivers for you properly.

Lockstock
28-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Thanks speedy for your reply.... how do I do as you have mentioned? As you say, I am probably doing it the wrong way but I am not very literate with computers, are you able to tell me please where and what I should try and double click/install?

Cheers, Lockstock

Speedy Gonzales
28-01-2005, 01:07 PM
The file you downloaded or are trying to install is it an exe file?? or zip? or inf file??

If an exe file, just double click on it to run it and it MIGHT install the display drivers for you.

Thats it

KatiMike
28-01-2005, 01:09 PM
you could try downloading the latest driver from ATI

http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html

HMroid
28-01-2005, 01:10 PM
did the laptop come with any software .eg driver software
the ati is an onboard device and you cant install the drivers without the 'correct software' ie not through device manager.
whats the model of the video card maybe we can provide a direct link to the software needed

Lockstock
28-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Hi guys, thanks for all your replies...I am very mucha novice at this so excuse for me being a little simple here! I managed to find the properties section of the drivers and there were about 12 files or so ending in .exe and .dll. There was an option there to "update drivers"..should I try that?
HMRoid...where do I go to find out what kind of video card I have? I assume it came with the driver software. Its a HP Pavilion 4300..bout 2 yrs old...I bought it new and cant recall what I had to do to set everything up..sorry! Thanks for all yr patience with me on this

Speedy Gonzales
28-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Click on the site Katimike gave in the previous post Lockstock.

What version of windows is installed on that computer??

Go here http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

Get the home version install it . Hopefully it'll tell u whether its a radeon/rage whatever. Then go here for your operating system in Katimikes post

Download the drivers for your operating and install that file... That should be it.

Lockstock
28-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Speedy, have Windows XP. Many thanks Katimike and everyone for all your help, will get into those sites tomorrow sometime. Thanks again.

Metla
28-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Is this a laptop?

If so then tou do not want to install drivers from the ATI site,Things will get real nasty if you manage to install them.

go to the manufacters site and get there most recent driver release,

Lockstock
28-01-2005, 02:50 PM
thanks Metla....it is a laptop. will check out the HP site. cheers

Lockstock
31-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Metla or anyone else, have now gone to the HP website (my laptop is a Pavilion ze4315AP)...which of these should I be installing? I curently have an "IGP340M display adaptor", the HP lists the following driver update options for my laptop...

ATI Video Driver and Control Panel

ATI RS200M Video Driver for Windows XP

or...

ATI Display Control Panel Utility for Windows XP

or am I arking up the wrong tree altogether?? Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Lockstock