PDA

View Full Version : How to extract an image in a PDF doc?

Greg
28-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Is it possible to extract an image in a PDF document using Acrobat Reader?

Thanks

[edit] No longer need an answer except as a matter of interest... I just did a print screen and cropped the section I wanted.

craig.b
28-01-2005, 09:15 AM
Yup its pretty easy. On the toolbar there is a button that looks like a square and a circle surrounded by a dashed line. This is the Graphics Select Tool (If you can't find it, press G on the keyboard as this selects it too)

Select the graphic. Press CTRL+C, and then paste it into the program where you want the graphic to go to.

If this doesn't work, check the edit menu in Adobe - if copy is grayed out, then the document authors have restricted copying and it won't be as easy to do.

Cheers,
Craig.

craig.b
28-01-2005, 09:17 AM
Like you just posted, if the built in tool doesn't work, then there is always the print screen way. I have found that this can cause distortion of sizes, if you are after an accurate copy, but for most cases, a screenshot is fine.

Craig.

Greg
28-01-2005, 09:20 AM
Thx Craig. I tried your method at first but it distorted the colours. Anyway now sorted.

Roszarie
29-01-2005, 02:09 AM
Howdy Greg ..

number one - c'mon GIVE - how did you sort it? [edit] whoops! just re-read your original post with your [edit] ...

number two - to get images out of PDF I enlarge the page until the image is taking up most of the screen then hold down the 'Alt' key and hit ' Print Screen ' and paste the image into a new doc.

Using 'Alt' takes a snapshot of the active window only - so you don't end up with the Taskbar etc as you would if you hit ' Print Screen ' only. Gives a larger, sharper image to work with.

Failing that, some sites have PDF password crackers to help convert the PDF back to it's original format - NOT that I use crackers. Of course not.

Scouse
29-01-2005, 09:31 AM
Hi Greg. I have long used a small, not too expensive, programme called Snagit. Can capture all or selected parts of anything on your desktop or in any open window. You can personalise the pictures, with arrows, numbers etc. Recent update version allows OCR capture too. You can capture virtually all of any .pdf regardless of what limitations the author has placed on the original. :cool:

JimboJones
29-01-2005, 02:35 PM
Theres a select text option which allows you to highlight text and copy it. If you click on the button, a dropdown menu will appear so you can change select text to select image. Once you select the image. press ctrl c then ctrl v in paint or photoshop.