PDA

View Full Version : Renaming external drives

martynz
27-01-2005, 08:20 AM
My OS is Windows98SE. I have some external drives eg. Iomega Peerless and Archos Jukebox Multimedia. In My Computer and Windows Explorer the Peerless is called "Removable Disk(F)", is there any way this can be renamed "Peerless"? Nothing seems to give me a renaming option.
I believe there was a question somewhere on this forum about servicing Archos Jukebox. Mine (purchased in the UK) is refusing to stay on. Any pointers to servicing (in the Wgtn. area) would be appreciated.
Tia
Martynz

pixeldust
27-01-2005, 08:41 AM
Dunno if this will work, I don't have a disk to test it on, but try right clicking on 'My Computer' and selecting 'Manage' then 'Disc Management'. You should be able to right click on the drive choose 'Change Drive Letter and Paths' .

Speedy Gonzales
27-01-2005, 08:47 AM
I have a card reader here which XP calls removable disk (but this is an internal USB 2 card reader), so isnt external.

BUT u can rename these if u highlight the removable disk icon / right mouse / rename. Thats it. Dunno if 98 has this option tho.

I would send an email to the guys who made that Jukebox. Ask them if there are any service centres in NZ at all. If their site is http://www.archos.com
I had a quick look, and I dont think so. You have to RMA it back to them in the UK. And if this is the site the RMA form is on this site.

Peter H
27-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Right click - properties may give you the option. It will on fixed drives, but doesn't appear to allow it on my 98se removable ones.
Bye

Chilling_Silence
27-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Im with Peter - It _is_ possible because Ive called my Thumbdrive "Mini Disk" and my external 120gb "Biggie 1"

It was just done in My Computer going thru the drive Properties IIRC.

martynz
27-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Thanks Speedy. I've solved the immediate problem with my Archos. The mains unit was duff and the internal battery was flat. But I'll certainly follow up your suggestion.
As for renaming the external drives, the suggestions don't work for the Peerless, there is no given option for renaming, but the Archos does have one.
Looks like its a quirk of different manufacturers.
Thanks everybody
Martynz