PDA

View Full Version : Ok got my fan.... and its screwy

Onyks
27-01-2005, 07:54 AM
Previous, related post... (http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=53543&page=1&pp=10) - has detailed specs as well.

Alright i now know that everything works except the fan. I ordered a Freezer 7 from arcric-cooling and its supposed to be great and quiet etc etc etc.

After reseating 3 times the temp would not go below 84*C. Yes Centigrate. :(

Also after 3 reseats one of the "easy-install" pins broke off. I Emailed the company to find out about returns or just the ability to buy a new pin and also about the problem i was having.

The CPU fan would not cool, hardly at all. The only way i could make it make a difference is if i applied pressure to the top of it and even then, no more than 5-8*c reduction. What could be wrong???

I am pretty much just going to give up and let someone else do it (probly should have done that in the first place) but i had one more idea. If i went to a local hardware store and bought some anchored clips that were the same size, would that not be just as effective? Im pretty sure it would work but i wanted to ask you guys who have helped me in the past.

Thanks!

and i wouldve posted on old thread but i think we got kinda off topic so... yeah...

somebody
27-01-2005, 08:05 AM
You applied the Thermal Grease according to the instructions on the package?

Does the heatsink feel like it is transferring heat off the CPU?

More importantly, I thought a CPU hitting 85degrees would cause the computer to shut down...

Speedy Gonzales
27-01-2005, 08:08 AM
Ah, when you brought the CPU, didnt it come with a heatsink/fan??

If so, why arent u using it?? Thats why it comes with a heatsink/fan, that will do the job properly. Were these anchored clips made for CPUS??? If not NO they wont do anything...

And did u follow the instructions in the manual on how to install that CPU properly? Theyre a bit trickier to install than your normal 478 pin P4.

somebody
27-01-2005, 08:09 AM
Onyks already posted in his previous thread that he bought an OEM CPU which didn't have a heatsink/fan.

Prescott
27-01-2005, 08:13 AM
is the fan spinning the right way? is it the right way up?

Speedy Gonzales
27-01-2005, 08:21 AM
Well OK but the easiest way would have been if he went to a shop and got a CPU with heatsink and fan. Cant say I've ever heard of an OEM CPU lol. I know what an OEM dvd burner is. You get nothing else lol

Sounds like me tho, I tried a thermaltake cpu cooler once, it did stuff all. Did nothing but heat up and sounded like a jet plane.

It was crap. As they say, all talk no action. This was one such case.

Its better to just buy a CPU / heatsink / fan that was made for that specific cpu, than to try and make it look pretty with something else that could fry it. And make no difference at all.

Onyks
27-01-2005, 08:31 AM
Thermal grease on correctly.
Fan spinning correctly.

The only thing i can think of is its bulkiness, its very large (Freezer 7 (http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.php?productid=2660&partner=froogle))

It faces the back case fan with about 1/4 in... erm.... 2cm? clearance. It shouldnt make a difference but now i guess im out of luck since the pin broke.

The processor is on and has been tested as correct. As far as i can tell and as far as uGuru* and the BIOS check are concerned everything is on, detected, and working properly.

As for the temp shutdown, it is actually 1 degree below auto shutdown. I get on for a bout 30 seconds at a time to check certain things or make changes in BIOS to troubleshoot. Although it does beep like crazy :p

I would just as easily get another but i am saving money for a vacation and im trying not to pour even MORE money than i already have into this computer.

<*uGuru is some ABit technology that checks and monitors voltage and cooling and temps and other vital processes through the mobo and reports them back to desktop, more accurately than other programs because its on board> Thats my explanation at least.

somebody
27-01-2005, 08:43 AM
It faces the back case fan with about 1/4 in... erm.... 2cm? clearance. It shouldnt make a difference but now i guess im out of luck since the pin broke.

1/4" isn't a great deal of space (less than 6mm). Is the fan from the cooler blowing in the opposite direction to the case fan? Since they're so close together, what if they're blowing air at each other so effectively no air is moving?

Onyks
27-01-2005, 12:17 PM
the fan on the case is blowing out and the fan on the cpu is pulling air towards the fan but they are not exactly in line.... they are maybe halfway in on eachother, so they aren't just pulling air straight out, either way... wouldnt that make it cooler? allowing more air straight out the back?

the rest of the computer may stay warm but there are two more fans so it should be fine.

i need a reply from arctic-cooling before i can go any farther i guess.

thanks again all
and i do post when i can help... im just not as experienced as the rest :)

robsonde
27-01-2005, 03:57 PM
could it be a bad temp sensor on the board??

Tux
27-01-2005, 06:36 PM
i suggest you buy a new motherboard and cpu. Primarily because i think you may have done severe damage to the motherboard and cpu by running it without proper cooling. TO me it is quite obvious you have no idea what you are doing, if you get a new mb and cpu ask the shop to kindly install it for you or even assemble the whole piece. Im not trying to be nasty, but the truth hurts

Prescott
27-01-2005, 06:44 PM
good be a point, but before you present the cash, maybe you could get it tested at a pc shop?

eat soap
27-01-2005, 09:40 PM
How thin/thick a layer of thermal grease did you apply.

Yes, it does sound to me like you have no idea what you are doing and should get a nice friend to help you out.

the highlander
27-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Review here on your cooler
In short:

looks nifty
quiet
intel stock cooler beats it quite compehensively (except in sound)
The heat sink needs lapping to get a proper base contact and/or use premium thermal compound
Retension mechanism somewhat suspect.

http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/freezer/

Onyks
28-01-2005, 12:37 AM
what damage could have been done and how to find that out? i think that nothing has been harmed because i only allowed to get that hot only to find out if it was going to go back down. the cpu's life may be shortened but id rather run to death than buy a new one. im pretty sure the mobo is fine as well but is there some way to check.

of course i dont know what im doing, thats why im here.

all connections were made properly and everything works so how to know if somethin is wrong? i will not run it again until i have a hsf on the cpu. and will not run it into a high temp at all. The plan is to take it somewhere if reseating the hsf once again doesnt work.

have a good one.

Tux
28-01-2005, 09:50 AM
you have done damage, it is shown by your earlier posts that you only used a SUB standard heatsink for heat protection. The bios turned your computer off. i dont want to know how many times you did that but you have no idea bout the thermodynamics of a cpu. You have already found that out, i suspect you have done damage ot the actual architecture by constantly runnin git at super hot temps . Second, how the hell can you break fan clips? I brought all the pieces for my computer in one day, and had it running in an hour. Yours is taking days, becuase you just dont know what you are doing. Take it to someone who does, please, before you post anything more

Murray P
28-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Before fronting up your hard earned cash for new kit, get the thing set up properly where it isn't fighting the case fan for airflow. It would be more efficient with the case fan turned off if you can't get clear air from elsewhere (BTW, too many fans can spoil the cooking).

By the looks of that thing, it relys almost entirely on the heat pipes tranferring heat to the heatsink. I guess it requires good airflow from the fan to assistist tranfer up the heat pipes, without that, it's relying almost entirely on passive tranfer to a heatsink that is not directly attached to the mounting.

Another issue I see, and as mentioned by others, is the clips. They look weak, if in a tower case, do as suggested previously as to airflow but, also lay the case down so that the weight of the HSF is bearing down on the CPU, not dragging across it. See if that makes any difference.

To replace the defective clicp, get a nylon machine screw from a computer shop. Rig it up through the existing clip housing and spring (I presume there's a spring in there to provide tension and to protect the board from over-tightening)

On that note, $32 for a good after market cooler doesn't cut it for me, unless it's on a very good special. You can pay almost that for a top of the line fan, let alone the whole unit. Expect to pay $50+ but more likely $80-100 for something with a good heatsink and connection (the most important bits). Check reviews from cooling and quiet PC sites, not shops, before choosing. Personally I reakon you can't go much wrong with a Zalman copper based cooler, it'll cost though.

Metla
28-01-2005, 11:19 AM
>>$32 for a good after market cooler doesn't cut it

:D

Agent_24
28-01-2005, 11:28 AM
I dont know who invented that Freezer 7 Cooler, but by the looks of it I wouldn't want it within 100 metres of any CPU of mine.

only thing I can determine is that the CPU is just used to support the big cube of heatsink that gets cooled by the fan and doesn't actually help your CPU in any way except perhaps to commit suicide.

I suggest you get a proper cooler and get it put on properly by someone who's done it before. If it still overheats then something is probably damaged.

Metla
28-01-2005, 01:31 PM
ahem

Arctic Cooling is the well known brand that produce the super silent CPU cooler and their most famous VGA Silencer. Today, we are their latest CPU cooler which is known as the Freezer 7. The Freezer 7 is design to specially support the Intel socket 775.

Extremely Quiet
The low speed 80 mm fan reduces the noise level to a minimum.
The patented fan holder is able to practically eliminate the typical buzzing sound of 80mm fans.

Powerful cooling
The Heat Pipes with expanded diameter are able to transfer heat up to 200 Watt. The heat exchanger is built of 40 fins and consists of a surface area of over 5000 cm2 and allows for resistance free energy transfer to air.

Low Weight
In the high performance range of coolers, this cooler count as featherweights with less than 500 gr which avoids mainboard socket problems.

conclusion

As the Intel LGA 775 plaform is a well known very high temperature produce by the processor. By using the Freezer 7, it able to pull down the temperature to 43 Celsius during idle at high fan speed. While the testing of the loading temperature, I was running the Stress Prime 2004 together with the 3DMark 05, the full loading temperature was only at 55 Celsius which is very low compare to the Intel stock cooler which is at 65 Celsius. Anyway, it was still a great results produce by the Freezer 7

http://www.techniz.co.uk/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=177

Agent_24
28-01-2005, 01:35 PM
LOL, I wasn't being serious - though it certainly does look strange, still if it works great then no worries...

Metla
28-01-2005, 01:52 PM
Yep, Sure is ugly, Enough reason for me not to buy one.....