PDA

View Full Version : Can not pass black startup screen, repeated startup

lightfoot
26-01-2005, 09:39 PM
Can not pass black startup screen, repeated startup

A computer I was installing some software on windows 98 se was working well. It got matabu virus which I have not got around to clean it. I then bring a new ram in to install it, but when came to startup , the computer could not get pass black screen startup (it got to Memory test and Award plug & play) and repeatedly restarted itself. Pull out the new ram and the same thing was still repeating. I pressed del to get into bios, but it just restarted when get to the stage where ?Award plug and play? words appears on the black startup screen and restarted repeatedly. Any suggestion is appreciated.

I have found this , but it is for xp , don?t know if it?s relevant.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314466

craig.b
26-01-2005, 11:25 PM
Nope that is unrelated. That is meaning that the windows statup screen is being displayed before the reboot. It sounds like your machine is failing before/during the power on test.

Do you know if del is te correct key for your bios? Many machines also use F12 and others...

Check that you have not dislodged any power connectors, PCI cards, RAM sticks etc, and that your CPU is correctly seated, also check that the CPU fan is running.

Also are you sure that your RAM was the correct type and speed for the motherboard, and the other RAM installed.

If your motherboard has any lights that indicate status, what are their colours? Some have a row of 2-4 LEDs that indicate status of any faults if the system cannot find a video card, but others (like mine) only have a green one when the motherboard is powered.

Hope something here helps,
Craig.

lightfoot
27-01-2005, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am very sure that del is the key to get into the bios, since I have entered into it, but also it says press del to get into bios set up.

The new ram has now been pulled out. The machine is only run at 64 ram, and the new ram is also 64 look identical, but the new ram has now been pulled out leaving only the old ram.

Basically, there is something loose somewhere that makes the computer unable to pass the first black startup screen where it could not pass the (Award plug and play) stage or get into bios .

The CPU fan is definitely run . Don't know about the motherboard light though, but outside the case which has bootup button and reset button. I think only the bootup button is lighting up. I can't remember seeing any other lights. I will check to see the everything is not loose again since this is the first thing I checked. It does seem like something is loose that makes the computer could not get pass the ' plug and play ' testing or getting to the bios with pressing del key . Thanks

Anyone know about the auto email when there is a reply to a thread. I used to get an email when there was a reply to a thread, but not now and I don't know where to activate this option. May be it is no longer an option.

FoxyMX
27-01-2005, 08:46 AM
Anyone know about the auto email when there is a reply to a thread. I used to get an email when there was a reply to a thread, but not now and I don't know where to activate this option. May be it is no longer an option.
It is still an option but is not enabled as default as previously. Activate it as follows:

Email notification is now switched off by default so you need to change your settings for this. Click on User CP above or Quick Links, and go to "Edit Options", change settings for "Default Thread Subscription Mode". You can choose to be emailed automatically, daily, or weekly.

Roszarie
28-01-2005, 02:48 AM
ouch, Lightfoot, this is not a good thing. What you're describing is a breakdown in the bare bones area - like you said, not even getting around to detecing PnP. When I've met similar in the past, I've done the following: -

* Swap the RAM from slot to slot - may look the same, but does na behave the same. There are differing types of SDRAM ... can you give us more info?

Sometimes it's as corny as putting the new RAM in the old one's slot and moving the old RAM to a new slot. I have several sticks that work in some slots in conjuction with some sticks but not others ... Remember to make sure you PUSH those babies in 'till you feel the 'click' - sometimes the side clamps can lock into the stick even though the RAM isn't properly inserted.

If no joy, take ALL the RAM out, reboot the machine and see if there is ANY difference, if not, your old RAM could be shot OR ...

* Check the CPU. Pull it out and make sure all the pins are straight (ie not bent or lying flat). CPUs are cool - they only go in one way and usually canna be locked in until properly inserted.

* Um, you're not even starting to detect the drive are you? So for now, you're probably okay there.

* Your master boot record may been corrupted. Ouch ouch ouch. Matabu virus? Haven't met this one yet. Could na find any info. What is it? Could it have corrupted your boot records? Or is this just another derogatory Kiwi term I haven't heard before ..? (like, hakari, pakatu or half-pai ...)

Any rate, check the RAM, look at the CPU and get rid of that virus.

Like to hear what the fix was when you find one.

lightfoot
28-01-2005, 10:04 PM
Sorry it is matubu

info on how to rid it :

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.mota.b@mm.html

have not got around to it, will report back , thanks

*Sparky*
30-01-2005, 03:50 AM
Howdy lightfoot,
I had the same problem last weekend.
Self made of course.
Tried playing with the voltages in the bios and got the same black screen at startup time.
Do you get continuous beeping from your pc speaker?

If you still have this problem, let me know and I'll tell you how easy it was to fix my one. May work on yours.

Cheers.

lightfoot
30-01-2005, 09:27 PM
HI,

I reset the bios and it is back to its old self. It is one of the strange motherboard I have come across. It got two slots for cpu, one for slot 1 and another likely for 370 and two slot for ram. Even if old ram is put in the second ram slot, there is no action, nothing on the screen, nothing at all. The second ram slot must be for the second cpu slot. I could not find the motherboard number or I could have search for its manual. I will have a second look sometimes. Thanks to all the replies.

lightfoot
30-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Howdy lightfoot,
I had the same problem last weekend.
Self made of course.
Tried playing with the voltages in the bios and got the same black screen at startup time.
Do you get continuous beeping from your pc speaker?

If you still have this problem, let me know and I'll tell you how easy it was to fix my one. May work on yours.

Cheers.

Please do tell me how you managed to fix it. I am interested to know. I have not play around with the voltage yet. May need to in the future. Thanks.

*Sparky*
30-01-2005, 11:39 PM
HI,

I reset the bios and it is back to its old self. It is one of the strange motherboard I have come across. It got two slots for cpu, one for slot 1 and another likely for 370 and two slot for ram. Even if old ram is put in the second ram slot, there is no action, nothing on the screen, nothing at all. The second ram slot must be for the second cpu slot. I could not find the motherboard number or I could have search for its manual. I will have a second look sometimes. Thanks to all the replies.

How did you reset the bios?
Sounds like the same way to fix different problems.
I had to short out a couple of pins on the motherboard labelled "Clear CMOS"
For good measure I took out the battery for 10 seconds.
I'm using a gigabyte motherboard that runs dual bios.
If one gets corrupted, you've got a backup.
At least your up and running again. http://pressf1.co.nz/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

lightfoot
31-01-2005, 08:54 AM
How did you reset the bios?
Sounds like the same way to fix different problems.
I had to short out a couple of pins on the motherboard labelled "Clear CMOS"
For good measure I took out the battery for 10 seconds.

Exactly what I did. Cheers