PDA

View Full Version : What motherboard shall I get? Asus or Gigabyte?

Tribomb
26-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Hi.
I need to pick between an Asus motherboard or the Gigabyte K8NS Ultra-939 or the Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP-939. If Asus, what one shall I get, i will need to be 939 pin.
Thanks
Mike

Speedy Gonzales
26-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Asus are pretty reliable. Check out the ASUS site see which ones are 939 pin, and which ones the local computer shop has in stock.

You might like one, BUT not much use if it isnt in NZ or in the local store.

~sy~
26-01-2005, 03:07 PM
I perfer Asus. Don't really know about the AMD chipsets though. Apparently Gigabyte tends to lean towards the Intel so if that's true, I'd go with Asus even more.

Tribomb
26-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Does this one seem alright, the A8N-SLI Deluxe? http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=15&l3=0&model=375&modelmenu=1
Dragon PC have that one in stock.

Maybe A8V Deluxe http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=15&l3=0&model=238&modelmenu=1 , as it is cheaper..

Speedy Gonzales
26-01-2005, 03:23 PM
That mobo looks ok. EVen tho its 64 bit. It will make no diff on a 32 bit system. Or until a decent 64 bit based OS comes out.

Metla
26-01-2005, 03:39 PM
You don't want a SLI board unless you purchased a SLI video card.

I would have thought that the computer shop would have helped you select what you wanted,and what was compatible.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned though......

Tribomb
26-01-2005, 06:48 PM
They probly will. But they say that they dont stock them at because Asus is to high end and that they have to get them in from the suplier.

Murray P
26-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Asus with an nForce 3 chipset would be nice. If you can get one with an AGP as well as PCIe that would also be nice, however, consider going for a PCIe gfx card, they've a wee way to go but as far as I know they ain't worse than AGP at the mo.

What's your thoughts Metla?

E|im
26-01-2005, 11:22 PM
Yeah, if you haven't purchased your graphics card yet go for a PCI-e socket 939 board. nForce3 or 4. I'm sure there must be some non-sli boards around by now for nForce4.

Metla
26-01-2005, 11:33 PM
My opinion is to buy what gives you the best bang for your buck on the day of purchase, So i would just suggest getting a board with AGP and a kick arse AGP card.

Due to the fact that most people have a budget to work to it (in my opinion) makes little sence to spend it on newer but less powerful tech.

If money isn't an issue or your budget already covers it then ditch AGP like a hot potatoe and grab onto PCI-E.

I haven't looked into the 2 boards he linked to but I presume the SLI reference in the link refers to the new feature where you can run 2 PCI-E video cards in tandem.....at an obvious huge cost,with a proportionally small increase in performance and so far its only suported by 15 games.....

Tribomb
27-01-2005, 12:05 AM
I have a grx card already. It is the Albatron 128 mb GeForceFX-6600GT.
I wonder if that is compatable. I have about a 200-300 price limit for the motherboard.

Rob99
27-01-2005, 01:50 AM
I would go gor the asus board you linked further up. On board wifi : cool :

Greg
27-01-2005, 10:09 AM
Never had a Gigabyte myself, but The Asus units I've had have all been brilliant, and a useful thing is how great Asus manuals are - proper English!

drcspy
27-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Asus.............very reliable in my experience

Tribomb
27-01-2005, 01:09 PM
Ok, Go with Asus. And the Asus A8V Deluxe? Does everyone think that it is ok?

Odin
27-01-2005, 01:12 PM
I used to always buy Asus but after a run of bad motherboards and graphics cards, followed by a severe lack of support (Asus say you have to get support from the place you bought it from) I decided to dump Asus and moved to Gigabyte. I have never had any problems with gigabyte boards, they install windows first time with out errors (with asus I usually had to install a couple of times before it would work). Gigabyte seem to be very reliable and so far have not had any part fail, they are also cheaper as you aren't paying for the big asus brand name, yet I would say their quaility is as good if not better than asus. But this is just my opionion and understand that other may have different views.

Tribomb
27-01-2005, 01:21 PM
That makes things harder to decide :@@:

Murray P
27-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Asus, Gigabyte, Abit, are all good board manufacturers, any of which should serve you well.

Get the one with the features you want for the money you want to pay. Look at the details of the spec's to sort the wheat from the chaff, do the research, ask, (as you have been doing), not all boards are created equally.

If you get a bad one, it's very much the luck of the draw, it happens, although less so with the brands mentioned.

Tribomb
27-01-2005, 02:11 PM
Ok, thanks. I will probably go for the A8V. I won’t be using WiFi but it is cheaper and it is fine for what I want I think. The other, more expensive, one will require me to get an even better graphics card and other different components. I wouldn’t use the features on that anyway. :D

I will have the CPU and motherboard tomorrow... Time to build it!! :eek:

And thanks everyone for you help so far!! You have all been great :thumbs: