PDA

View Full Version : Question on Windows XP SP2 firewall

Wayne H
26-01-2005, 08:23 AM
I was wondering if there has been any software released yet that automatically turns off the firewall on Win XP Pro SP2?

Speedy Gonzales
26-01-2005, 08:31 AM
I dont anyone would bother with releasing software, (or even buying it if someone did) when u can turn it off/on yourself thru Control Panel / Windows firewall.

Wayne H
26-01-2005, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the quick reply but I was meaning in a malicious way

Speedy Gonzales
26-01-2005, 08:44 AM
Ah i see, I gotcha Wayne. Umm some trojans/worms can turn it off, if you got hit by one.

These trojans/worms not only disable XP's firewall, they can and will also disable any other firewall you have installed. One such worm is the bagle worm, which I fixed not so long ago, on a mates PC, he had Norton Internet Security installed.

This particular variation of the bagle worm puts an entry/file in XP's startup
called wingo.exe. If you're infected with this and using Nortons Internet Security, it disables it and also shuts down the browser, (it'll stop you from browsing the net). And in the meantime, you're left unprotected if u get onto the net. The only easy way to fix this worm (and others), is hopefully download it from Symantecs website (If they've made a removal tool).

Or use a decent virus scanner.

Wayne H
26-01-2005, 08:47 AM
thanks will look for that it has only happened once on this computer and I will see if it happens again.

Speedy Gonzales
26-01-2005, 08:50 AM
No prob Wayne. Its also a good idea to keep your system up to date with the patches. As this is how most worms etc get into / onto your system.

Via security holes / bugs.

If you think u have one now, go to start/run and type in msconfig, tells us whats in the startup tab. (any strange looking files, or what folder theyre in, will sometimes give you a clue).

Wayne H
26-01-2005, 09:13 AM
No it is not me that has this it is a friend, and they have been up to date on all patches, when I see their PC i will post back but it might not be for a couple of weeks so thanks for the offer.
Wayne h